8mm tapes to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by AmiNutall, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Have spent ages trying to crack this to no real avail. I am trying to copy bits from lots of 8mm tapes onto my pc , to burn to dvd. These are 8mm recorded from my analogue camcorder. Its a one-off to make one dvd from various clips from these tapes, (so Im loathe to spend loads on doing it).
    If I copy from the camera to my VHS video , the quality is good.

I have tried getting a friend to copy from the VHS tape to his pc thru a hook up he has with his pc (digital card I guess) , and I have also bought an external Adaptec videoh box to try. Neither options produced a DVD of any quality . My mini-dv doesnt accept thru put , which is a shame. The quality of my Mini-DV to DVD is fine.
    I understand there are lots of ifs/buts/ what software etc questions involved, but Ive reached a point of just thinking Im going to have to copy to VHS and have one VHS tape of these clips. Or...

Cutting to the kill (at last I hear you say ! ) . Can anybody answer these questions to help me.

Eventually, when I buy a DVD re-writer, will i be able to go straight from the camera to the DVD re-writer? I guess the quality should then be as good as the VHS tape picture?

OR - The quality of my VHS copies is good. If I get one of these companys to copy it to DVD will there quality be much better than the DVDS I seem to be creating.

Thanks in advance.

2. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hold those horses. A friend now tells me he has a Mini DV camera (2 in fact). How can I tell if they accept thru-put ? Im waiting for him to get the exact models.