Adobe Premier Elements DV to DVD Quality Problems

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by cjg7163, Dec 16, 2005.

1. cjg7163

cjg7163 Member

I have a mini DV camcorder and capture the video on to my computer using Adobe Premiere Elements. When I then use Premiere Elements to create a DVD the end result is of poor quality with the image breaking up into lines whenever thereis movement. Is there any way of improving the results using Premiere elements?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

"breaking up into lines"... Do you mean that it is like a combing effect? In that case you have an issue with field dominance (upper or lower first). Try to reverse the fields.

3. cjg7163

cjg7163 Member

It is a comb effect but I don't understand about fields and how to reverse them? Thanks

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Most common video is interlaced, meaning that a frame consists of two fields: one with the odd lines and one with the even lines. The frames are scanned (and projected) after each other. If the order of the fields is switched, you will see the comb effect. I don't know how you can change settings in Elements when directly authring to DVD, but you can when exporting to MPEG. (export->MPEG->Advanced->Video->Field Order). You can test there, if the field order change is your problem.

5. fraser17

fraser17 Member

Found this post after 'googling' my problem, I have exactly the same issue, tried reversing the field dominance last night with no success, any other ideas anyone?

To test it, I converted to MPEG in Premiere (switching field dominance as suggested), then wend to Nero to burn DVD and watched it in preview (to avoid wasting another disk), problem still there.

Thanks for any help.

6. fraser17

fraser17 Member

Just a quick question cjg7163, what computer are you using, I have an existing problem with my Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P which I wonder is causing the combing problem (the power supply is 'buzzing', maybe causing RF interference?? could that happen?)

7. IainMacK

IainMacK Guest

Certainly could be the problem. I was going to ask what the spec of your computer was anyway as I had a feeling that it might just be marginal. Have you tried firstly exporting the timeline back to the DV camera to see what the quality is like at that point.

8. fraser17

fraser17 Member

The computer is a pretty powerful machine, Pentium with HT, loads of RAM and 200Gb hard drive, etc....
    Unfortunately cannot import DV back into the camcorder, it has no DV-in.
    Someone should be coming today to replace the faulty power supply, I just hope that fixes the Premiere problem too (will let you know).

I found someone else on another forum with the same problem, but they posted in 2001 and have had no reply!!!

Any more thoughts would be gratefuly received.

9. IainMacK

IainMacK Guest

That's a pity and i thoughr that's what you might say. Can you enable DV IN on your camcorder?
    I assume that your discs are fragmented and that DMA is enabled on all drives? Author and burn direct from Premier instead of going through Nero and use a DVD -RW so that you can use the disk again rather than producing coasters.

10. juann

juann Member

I have a similar problem. I am also using adobe premiere elements to capture the video from my mini DV camcorder on my computer and I am also using Nero to burn the DVD. When I burn the project on a DVD disc, I have very poor quality when there is movement, the image is shivering. When I look at the DVD on my PC the result is still acceptable but when I put it in my home DVD player or another PC, the quality is very bad. That is why I had the feeling that the problem was with my DVD writer. When I export the file to MPEG-2 on my hard disc the quality is OK. Can somebody help?

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It could be that you are creating a PAL DVD and play on an NTSC DVD player or vice versa.

12. IainMacK

IainMacK Guest

Are you sure that you are rendering the timeline at the end of the project. This normally happens automatically but I wonder whether that option has been deselected somehow

13. juann

juann Member

Thanks IainMacK, it works now. It seems that the file was not rendered before exporting.

14. sjtrent

sjtrent Member

cjg7163 -

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am having a similar problem in that mpeg-2 files I have imported for editing look like crap (same problem you're having) when written to DVD. The hardware is not the problem; I just rebuilt this computer with maxed out components for video editing. Also, DVDs burned from the ULEAD Video Studio 9 software look great compared to same video burned using Adobe Premier Elements.

The stability and editing capabilities of the Adobe product are outstanding given the price... much better than ULEAD product. However, I cannot burn a decent DVD with Adobe... And they don't seem to be willing to help w/o you putting up $$$ for tech support.