adobe premiere freehand matte

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by baltoe, Jul 12, 2005.

1. baltoe

baltoe Member

Does anyone know how to construct a freehand difference matte in Adobe Premiere Pro? This is basically a drawing within the a video screen in which footage taken with a fixed camera can be played over footage taken of the same scene at a different time. I.e., footage taken of a roadway with a vehicle driving throught an intersection, then a matte is drawn around the intersecting road, and footage taken of another vehicle driving into the intersection is played within the video of the first take. I know how to do picture in picture, but the freehand matte has me stumped.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I am not completely sure if I understand you well, but I assume that you mean like a picture-in-picture but not in a rectangular shape? As always in Adobe Premiere there a re many ways to achieve this, but here's an easy way.

Create that shape that you want in a drawing program like Photoshop in black on a transparant background. Put your original video in track 1, the video that you want to play inside the matte in track 2 and the photoshop file in track 3. Next apply the track matte effect on the video in track 2. In the effect controls window set track 3 as the track matte. Voila.

3. baltoe

baltoe Member

maybe i try that.ty. I guess i would have to take a frame from the background of the video clip so I could trace out the section of road that I want to replace with the freehand matter. It could be superimposed on the transparent background and the pen tool used to trace it out. I'll have to get photoshop up and running again.