advice needed about a long trip

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by flooozi, Oct 3, 2006.

1. flooozi

flooozi Member

Ok guys, time to talk laymans terms.

I'm going on a 6 month trip around the world, and I want a whole lot of footage to remember it by. I haven't got a clue as to which form of camcorder would be best for me though. All I know is I need a lot of memory available to me, and I want to be able to edit it on my PC when I'm back. Mini-dv seems like a good option, but then I realised even if I only wanted to take, say, an hour of footage a week I'd need to lug 24 cassettes around with me. Seeing as I'm backpacking that doesn't seem sensible.

Basically I just need advice as to what my options are. Oh and if anyone knows of any magical websites that I could possibly upload videos onto for storage as I go, that would be useful.

Thanks.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

For me this is a no-brainer: use miniDV and FedEx them back home...
    It gives you the best quality and easiest to edit material.

If you opt for a hard disk camcorder: you can take up to 40 hours on a 30GB model, but in low aulity settings. If you want high quality you're limited to around 10 hours and once the hard drive is full you have a problem.

Forget about uploading on some website. You're talking about a large amount of GB's. It'll take you ages to upload that anywhere (unless you're OK preserving your precious memories in low quality).