Alternative to the Philips DPV642?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by scarlet84, Mar 21, 2006.

1. scarlet84

scarlet84 Member

I was reading a previous thread about the Philips DVP642 and people seemed to be, on the whole, pleased with the player, so I thought about buying one. I looking all the usual places: Amazon, Currys, Comet, Argos, etc but couldn't find it anywhere. It isn't even listed on the Philips site so I'm assuming it maybe isn't available in the UK.

While checking out the Philips site, I had a look at the other DivX compatible players but I'm pretty clueless and I don't want to end up with a machine that doesn't work. So could someone tell me if the players below are good machines?

Philips DVP630
    Philips DVP3040
    Philips DVP5900

Are any of them good players? Is playback good with avi files? Are there any major problems with them? Is there a better alternative?

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

My favorites (I own both) are the LDA-511 and the LGDBV418 (harder to find), both do a very good job with xvid/divx, the LDA-511 is better on the overscanning area. Both are upconverting players (720P and 1080I) and can be hacked to upscale through the componet outputs (if you have an older hdtv that doesn't have either HDMI or DVI inputs) I had a DPV642 and got rid of it after 8 months because it's just too picky about what avi files it'll play and the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  3. scarlet84

scarlet84 Member

Thanks!