Any way to go from 29.970 Fps (DV) to 24 Fps 'Smoothly'

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by VicVega, Mar 5, 2004.

1. VicVega

VicVega Member

This may be impossible to do, but maybe not too.

Ok, two things before I start One, what I'm talking about isn't Interlace, and Two, I just wish that you could have the option of recording in more than just 29 Fps on DV Cameras, like say .....24 Fps?!

Anyways, Ok, whenever I try to go from 29 Fps DV to 24 (to slow it down a little bit) I get trails on everything!

It's not interlace though, just trails of the recorded image. I have tried slowing it down to like 15, to test it out, and it slowed way down, and it was almost as smooth as the regular DV! Barley Any 'Trails'!

Is there any way to go to 24 Fps from DV Speed 29 without this happening to me? I am pretty knowledgeable on most Digital Video, so don't feel like you have to write some wicked in depth answer.

But, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. VicVega

VicVega Member

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I think the video material is meant to be shot on 29.97fps on NTSC cameras and tweaking it (slowing it) to something that's not "real" fps for the camera wont result anything reasonable.

The reason why movies are in 24fps is because.. well.. because the movie camera is meant to operate in 24fps and nothing else. The NTSC playback speed of 29.97fps for TV is achieved by adding additional duplicate frames to 24fps material (telecine process) and that can be reversed by IVTC (inverse telecine) process.

But because the original shooting with DV (in NTSC) is at 29.97fps, IVTC can't be done (as it drops "actual frames", not dupes).

PAL versions (PAL is 25.00fps) of the movies are done by simply playing back the original 24fps movie at higher speed (thus, a movie lasts shorter time in Europe, always does).

4. timwil

timwil Member

What type of camcorder do you have?

There are digital Camcorders that shoot at 24fps progressive to give the film look - check out Panasonic website under industial cameras - they cost about U$3,500 - U$4,000