AVI editing software

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by traffic, Jan 5, 2004.

1. traffic

traffic Member

can anyone recomend a good easy to use and not over complicate software to use.I want to remove,delete,cut parts of a avi then remove unwanted background noise as well as breathing from the operatore

2. itguru

itguru Member

3. sfazen

sfazen Member

ITGURU,
    Any suggestions if you have Win2K? Movie Maker2 doesn't seem to work on this platform.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. What platform
    2. VirtualDub?
    3. Premier?

5. sfazen

sfazen Member

I have Win2K with a P3 1Ghz machine with a G of Ram and a relatively hi0end ASUS vCard.

I've used DVIO and an old version of Ulead's Video Studio (version 3) to capture the AVI from my camcorder. I have also used TMPGenc successfully to convert the AVI's to MPEG2 in order to burn DVD's using Nero.
    Issue: I would like to edit out unecessary footage from the AVI's and make shorter AVI's to convert to Mpeg2. Virtual Dub doesn't seem to work with my avi files so it's kind of useless for me.

6. itguru

itguru Member

I don't want to sound like a smarta$$, but why are you running 2000? XP is by far the best os ever produced by ms. Finding an 'evaluation' copy isn't usually too hard... ;0)

Cheers,

P.S. I also use adobe premiere 6.5 to edit avi, but it is really advanced, and is similar to using a shotgun on a fly.

7. sfazen

sfazen Member

Thanks for the insight about XP, but this is also my my business machine with quite a bit of networking and other security issues that preclude me from moving to XP at this time. Also the issue is that XP is generally accepted and supported by the general business community (yet) makes it more compelling to stick with Win2K. I'll take a look at your suggestion about Adobe Premiere but isn't there something else simple like Movie Maker that someone makes which will run on Win2K?

8. sfazen

sfazen Member

New software found. I found a pretty good AVI editor, Blaze Media Pro by Mystik Media, http://www.blazemp.com/downloads.html.

It didn't require any fancy codecs to be downloaded; instead it just plain works. I am using the trial version, but for $50 I will most likely purchase in 2 weeks. Let me know if see any problems with it from a more technical viewpoint. I wouldn't know the difference between Adobe Premiere and my dog, so maybe you can pick some holes in it.

9. hickory

hickory Member

I tried the trial verstion Blaze Media Pro v 5.03 but doesn't work for me. I am trying to find a video editor for my avi files that I download from my HP 735 photosmart digital camera. OS win98SE. I also tried several other trial video editor programs which some crash when I try to save an edited avi file. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend a lot of money for a vedio editor program then it not work. :)
    Hickory

10. PFC-Kluge

PFC-Kluge Member

Hickory,
    Itguru said it right when he mentioned that WinXP is the way to go for video and graphics. The guts of Windows2000 are similar enough to XP to make it an adequate platform for this type of work. I simply haven't used Win 98 for more than 4 years, so I don't remember enough about it to know why Blaze Media Pro doesn't seem to work on it. Describe "doesn't work", and maybe I can help. Does it crash, hang, simply not install? If it crashes or hangs, you might want to try some hardware upgrades with the video card and the RAM. I know this costs extra money, but if you want to do video work, your hardware and operating system can really make a world of difference. If you look at the specs on my system (Win2K with a P3 1Ghz machine with a G of Ram and a relatively hi end ASUS vCard), the main reason it still works OK is that I have a G of RAM and the highend video card.

Good Luck.

11. hickory

hickory Member

Hi PFC-Kluge,
    Please email me, judy_bauer@hotmail.com
    I'm considering upgrading from my Win98SE to winXP since XP comes with video editing. The Blaze Media Pro by Mystik Media cost $50 and for $50 more I can buy winXP. :) Again today I tried to edit a video file using Blaze plus I sent an email to someone with that video file as an attachment. I want to know if that video file will play on another pc. But they never received that file. If someone wants to view that file please let me know. I'm just curious if someone else can view that file without having Blaze installed on their pc. Its a cute video of one of my cats meowing. My cat is a black persian kitty, 16 years young. The file is named SugarRay_meows3.avi but dos file name is Sugarr_1.ply.

12. tobybrace

tobybrace Member

also like someone mentioned premiere 6.5 is not very user friendly and takes ages rendering transitions etc. however if u can master the program it is excellent. failing that i started out with cyberlink powerdirector pro. it is simple and easy to use and is very user friendly. not sure about free downloads but if you can get an old copy, www.gocyberlink.com have updates to improve the software and obviously update it. also good for cutting the audio(bacground noise etc) good luck