.avi file player (Phillips DVP642, Toshiba SD3990, OTHER)?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by martypdji, May 12, 2006.

1. martypdji

martypdji Member

Hi, I already have a good Pioneer dvd player, it doesn't play .avi files. So i'm looking for somewhat cheap one that does play them. So far i've found Philips DVP642 and Toshiba SD3990, each about $70. For this price range, are there any others considered better? If not, which one of these two should I consider?..........Or should I just pay double and get a Pioneer DV-588A or something like that?

ONE LAST QUESTION...if I do get the pioneer dv-588A, it lists it as SACD player, do I need a 5.1 stereo system to use this? (right now, I'm still using a 2 speaker system, will be upgrading, but first want to get dvd player, will it work with a 2 speaker system)?

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. codydog

codydog Regular member

It sound like I work for Philips, but it is a good player. I bought mine for 45.00, us, a couple of months ago. 35.00 now. It was to take the playback load off of my dvd recorder. It plays great with component connections, and in progressive mode. Fairly user friendly controls. ANd for the price, great. The prices are dropping drastically on most dvd players, save your money. You'll be able to get a HD soon, at a reasonable price. It has rca audio out, optical out, and digital out.