Back up game works but very very slow.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by desi724, Apr 27, 2006.

1. desi724

desi724 Member

My back up game works very slow on my softmodded xbox, i used non branded dvd-r (4x), Nero, Latest LG dvd writer.
    is there any one who can help?

2. shademand

shademand Regular member

Did you try burning the game to another DVD because it may just be that, that particular disc alone is bad. Either that or your Xbox's DVD drive is trying to tell you, it doesn't care for that particular brand of DVDs.

3. theridges

theridges Guest

it might definately be the brand of media but also use DVD decyrpter to burn the games and i would burn at 2x speed....i would also reccomend using good quality media like Verbatim,Taiyo Yuden,Ritek and even office depot come from japan every once in a while....

4. shademand

shademand Regular member

I read that suggestion a lot on here and I never see the point. I buy the cheapest brand of no name DVDs I can find, usually $20 for a 100 pack, and I've always burned games at the default speed, I have an original release day Xbox with the Thomson DVD drive never had a problem with any brand of media to this day. Some games like MLB 2K6 or Tomb Raider Legend take 16 mins to burn alone, at regular speed, I can imagine at 2 X, you'd be doing that overnight while you're asleep. Just my two cents on the matter. But if anyone has a viable explanation I'd like to know where this stems from.

5. sharky489

sharky489 Regular member

To be honest with you i've used all brands of media from cheap to expensive and not really found any problems with them being read by the xbox. but remember all xbox drive lasers aint set the same a couple of cm's either way can mean the difference between a disc being read or not. Ive even got a thomson drive that will read double layer discs and a samsung one that struggles with pretty much anything you throw at it. to be honest its just luck whether your xbox reads a certain media or not. If you aint prepared to take the drive apart and adjust it I suppose your just stuck with the problem.

6. theridges

theridges Guest

media has a lot to do with especially since he has a thompson drive which were the first ones released and are very picky....second you should always just burn at half whatever the highest right speed is so 4x=2x 8x=4x and 16x=8x

7. shademand

shademand Regular member

Perhaps you missed it above where I state, I have a Thomson drive and it's not picky at all, it plays everything. Secondly, why do you say that one should always burn at half the speed? What would be the point? Lots of people around here subscribe to this theory but I have never seen any facts to support it...Do you honestly think technology would provide for 32X DVD writers only for them to be used at half their capability? The same errors are just as likely to occur at any speed.

8. theridges

theridges Guest

what are you talking about stop running your mouth about something you dont know....all DVD Drives are different not one is exactly the same i have 2 xbox with Samsung drive's one will read imation disc's and the other will not so there is some proof.....also burn a game at 16x and play it compared to a burn at 4x and tell me which loads faster especially on a Xbox and even more on PS2's my home dvd player will not read DVD's burned at faster than 4x's so dont talk about something you have no clue about.......your thompson might read "everything" but another one might only read a couple of types of media so stop running your mouth...just do some home tests and you will get answer's.....

9. shademand

shademand Regular member

I AM AFRAID I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT... Hmmm, guess my degree in Computer and Information Science and job as a network administrator, must definately mean I have no knowledge on this matter as compared to you. Look, I am no teenage kid, who you are exchanging with here, Feel free to voice your opinion but don't get out of hand with it. Providing a response filled with repetitious statements of "stop running your mouth" is suddenly suppose to make what you say fact! Provide the facts not your personal brand of rhetoric. I agree that it sometimes depends on the DVD drive/player but not with your sweeping generalization that you must always burn all media at half speed that is flat out incorrect. I am sorry didn't know it was a federal crime to have an opinion other than yours on this subject. By the way I have 7 Xboxes in my home, they have various DVD drives, suffice to say none of which have had any issues reading backups burned at regular speed.