Backup xbox game from a Torrent dowload

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Fraser13, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Fraser13

Fraser13 Member

Here is my problem, and i think this will help a lot of people. I dowload games via torrent (bitlord) to make back-ups. Once the game is done dowloading it is usually in a series of Rar files, say 1-12 or something. So I use WinRAR to decompress them by clicking on #1, it then makes a new folder with the decompressed file in it (sniper elite for example), inside the folder is where my problem begins. It will be sniper elite but look like a stack of books (rar) even though it is an iso file (it's description says blahblah.iso, yet it is rarified. ignoring this i tried to burn (using nero) clicking on burn image to cd/dvd, and in the end the Dvd is 'unknown' and doesn't show any files on it. I believe the problem is that the decompressed file must be represented as an iso and not rar...is that correct? if so, how do i get rid of the rar status during decomprssion? Should the final file to be burned look like the stack of books or someting else? Thanks in advance...ps i've read everything and can't find an answer

ps. xbox is modded and works fine, i have newish computer w/ dvd burner- but it is in totally diff location so that is why i'm trying to make this torrent dl thing work

2. X4Life

X4Life Guest

the best thing to do is use craxtion. open the file with craxtion and if its a real game it will tell you the name of the game. if the file is fake it will tell you that there is no xbe file

3. big89alex

big89alex Guest

this is what I do... When i get a rar file; i unzip the iso to a folder i created (ISO V1), i use Craxtion4 to open the iso , then i click on select/extract entire iso (i then extract it to another folder, ie. ISO V2). Once that is done, i go to the create an iso then i select the folder in which the contents are (in this case, ISOv2). Then wait for that to be done. When its done i use Nero to burn the image.

4. Fraser13

Fraser13 Member

Thanks...i'm gettion craxtion4 right now
    so open file w/ craxtion, extract it, then w/ craxtion again create an iso using extracted file, and then burn that w/ nero (burn an image option? - the match infront of a dvd icon?) I think i've got it...it just sucks wasting writable dvd's like i've been doing
    thanks again

5. X4Life

X4Life Guest

that is lonnnnnnnnnng lol lol all you need to do is:
    go to craxtion click on
    Multigame Wizard
    Next
    Add ISO
    click OK and it will say the name of the game if it doesnt then its not an xbox game.
    Close Craxtion
    Burn the game.
    Simple

6. steimy

steimy Active member

I'm with X4Life on this one.
    If it is an ISO you do not need to goi through all those steps just to burn it.
    If you want to FTP it to your HDD then you will need to use Craxtion4 or Qwix to extract the files from the ISO.

1. use Winrar to extract the ISO or files from the downloaded rar files
    2. if it is ISO you can check it, then burn it to DVD with any program that burns ISO files like Nero, Alcohol 120%, DVD Decrypter.
    3. if it is files you can build an ISO with Craxtion4 or Qwix then burn, or FTP the files to your HDD and play from there.

7. Fraser13

Fraser13 Member

thanks for the advice...i've been trying the new driver, and the new commandos...i've got the torrents froms limedivx or something similar. the disks burn succesfully but they are not read in the xbox...the name shows in craxtion like you guys said it should...now i think i'm doing something wrong in nero...there are too many options, like what to record (i've trying making a 'dvd data disk' and 'burn an image' - in the latter it wants to turn the iso into an
    .img i might try alcohol, but for now i've ran out of disks (i wasted five) my xbox can play burned dvd's cause i already have a bunch that my friend did the only other thing is i'm using memorex dvd-r's...i think that's ok though
    this sucks ;(

8. big89alex

big89alex Guest

i unno about memorex, i used some generic Tayo Yuden (or whatever) and some Office Supplies store DVD's and they work good. With Nero just click on burn an image. Finalize the disc, and write with lowest possible burning speed.

Also, i find the method i use does that a long time, but i find it the best way (at least for me) lol

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Memorex (aka Memosux) are the worst for doing games.
    With Nero you use the image burning option, looks like a picture of a DVD with a match on fire and says "burn image to disc". There is nothing else to it. It just burns the ISO to a DVD and your done.
    If you have no luck you can buy a crossover cable and FTP the game to your Xbox if your Xbox is modded of course, which it would have to be to play back up games anyway
    http://ww2.nero.com/enu/Support.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  10. Fraser13

Fraser13 Member

thanks guys, next shop no more memorex eventually this will work, and by then i might not care anymore cause I'll cave in and get the 360 which can be totally kick ass, previews for test drive unlimited look crazy, and advanced warfighter looks crazy too

11. gamer63

gamer63 Guest

i can tell you for a fact that your problem is with the way your installing winrar cause i made the same mistake, its easy to fix and when you finish you will be able to unrar and burn no problem. all you got to do is uninstall winrar and go and install it again and while your installing it it will ask you what file format you want winrar to associate with and UNCHECK ISO'S (really you can uncheck everything except zip and rar files) and there you go they will show up as a iso and not a rar i swear on master chief that that is your problem. so there you go have fun

12. tsruhnke

tsruhnke Member

i think i figured it out, but how do you do the same thing for ps2 games??? is there a diff program that u have to download or somthin?

13. steimy

steimy Active member

No Winrar extracts PS2 games as well
    once you have the ISO, burn to DVD
    i assume you already know that a modded PS2 is required

14. Fraser13

Fraser13 Member

i saw that problem w/ the association...instead of unchecking iso, i just made them associated w/ nero...that might have been a mistake though....i don't know it's just bad luck on this, i think until i see someone do it on my computer i'll be on the out's w/ burning...burning vs me, burning wins...but i just got a 360 so i don't care nearly as much ...so burning can eat that, until i get it modded and see if it is possible to burn 360 stuff..then i'll come crawling back to burning