Best brand of media?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by mat7h3w, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mat7h3w

mat7h3w Member

I was wondering if people could offer some input as to the best brand of DVD-R for using to make backups of purchased Xbox games? I've been backing up my games for some time now, occasionally with good success, other times with very poor results. I'm guessing that using a variety of different brands of recordable DVD is the culprit so I'd appreciate if anyone could give some info and input as to which is best to use overal? I don't mind spending a bit extra on the blank discs, so long as they work well with good compatibility, but I have read that some expensive brands aren't even that good, i.e. Sony for example....so any advice on this?

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Sometimes different media does cause problems. Sometimes it is the media that is subpar, but sometimes it is also the firmware in the DVD burner which may not have a very good write strategy for the media. If your burners firmware is out of date, updating it might be a fix for some issues.
    As for brand, I personally love discs made in Japan, especially Taiyo Yuden. Can't go wrong with these (as long as you don't get screwed into buying fakes) and they are reasonably priced in bulk. Like .35 each. Other brands like Ritek or Ricoh also have a good rep depending on who you ask.
    You should also check out what types of media works best with your burner before you commit to any one brand. videohelp.com has a great library of burners and what media people are having luck with. Checking that out may be of help to you.