Best Compression for Similar Files?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by KillerBug, Sep 23, 2010.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I am looking for a good way of compressing similar files...I have a folder with about a dozen different ~5gb ISO files that are only different by a few files each. If I extract all the ISO files, removing the bit-identical files, the total size is under 6GB...but when I compress these ISO files using maximum compression on 7zip, the resulting file is over 30GB.

Anyone got an app that will compress these files down to the ~5GB archive that they should fit within?

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

what type of files are they?

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

They are ISO files; I am trying to compress down my outdated software archive for long-term storage...I counted 14 different versions of SQL server 2005, and over 80 different ISO files for my vista, server 2003, and server 2003 r2 collections. Overall, the folder has grown to over 300GB just for microsoft stuff...and I would like to cram it down to about 80GB or less so it can fit on the end of an old storage hard drive. I know I could get it down to less than this, just by extracting and deleting duplicates (with no compression)...but I don't want to do that.