Best HD digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by novicebb, Jun 21, 2005.

1. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

I am looking for the best overall HD ready digital camcorder that has many options builtin to the camcorder, ease of use and is great at filming in any type of lighting. Any suggestions fellas?

2. sferrell

sferrell Member

panasonic pv-gs65 or pv-gs150. but if i were you i'd wait till more people have the 3ccd so prices drop even more. also, i'm sure they'll increase the still pic resolution from 2 to 3 or 4 megapixels too.

3. rain2

rain2 Guest

There are 2:

1080i - Sony HDR-FX1
    720P - JVC GR-HD1

You must trade interlaced / higher resolution against progressive / lower resolution.

4. howndawg

howndawg Member

I agree with "rain2" in regard to the SONY HDR-FX1 camera, but the JVC guy has poorer low light ability due mainly to single chip construction. It depends what you want to use the camera for. Weddings for example, require low light operation as a key consideration. Another issue is single chip CCD vs 3 chip CCD. What kind of quality do you want?

When going HD, you must also consider the higher cost of switching over from the established lower cost SD (hardware\software tools), and bigger yet how you are going to distribute your product if you plan to hand out your video wares. Blu-ray et al is not yet available.

On another note, and this is really open to debate, interlaced video exhibits poorer quality than progressive after compression. The case of the jaggies is significantly reduced in progressive scan video.

5. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Damn really learned a lot of things that I didn't know initially. THank you for all the useful information.