Black bars on plasma Can i Recode AVI?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by derekaust, Jan 11, 2008.

1. derekaust

derekaust Member

Hi

I live in Australia use pal system

Panasonic plasma 42in tv
    daytek standalone player

Movie clips

I usually put 6 or so movie clips onto a dvd and record as a data dvd.The problem is On most movies I get great big black bars top and bottom of screen. I m Left with 35% of the screen viewable. Is there any way I could recode using virtual dub etc. to get rid of annoying bars and No i wanna see the whole screen, not lose half of the picture width through expanding the screen. I guess its either who ever is encoding to AVI is either coding in NTSC Format or there encoding in 4:3 p/s.Am I on the right track? Maybe i could use Gspot to view the avi file and then reencode using different screen size. Why has nt someone come up with software where you can stretch and shrink film clips on the encoding menus of the software before your eyes then simply set it Presto!.

I ve tried all tv settings and player settings 4:3 etc but all that happens is i lose sides of picture as i zoom. Picture is perfect widthwise, just big bars top and bottom

Does anyone know the dimensions for pal australia?

Thanks

Derek

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

3. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If the AR looks correct, a round object is not an oval and the people don't look short and fat, then that is the way it should be.

The only other solution is: