Breaking up a large file into smaller files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by edwood, Oct 2, 2008.

1. edwood

edwood Member

I have a large file, a 358mb file. Most of the file reducing programs, filesplit, file dicer, etc. reduce files to 1.44mb, small enough to fit on a floppy disk. This results in approximately 250 separate files.

I know that winrar will break up this large files into managable files. I just don't know how to use winrar for this process. I want to create files that are small enough to email them, but also not require over 10 separate emails to send this large file. Also, they need to be reassembled into the large file by the person who receives them.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me on how to accomplish this task.

Thanks,
    Ed Wood

2. onya

onya Guest

Winrar would be my weapon of choice in this instance, as you can determine the file break-up sizes...but, there are choices to be made as to what suits you best.
    Why not join one of those (free) file hosting sites and up your files intact, and your intended recipient gets the link you post via email or whatever and everyones happy? I believe the files stay availble for a month..perhaps longer with some.
    My pevious isp allowed emailed files with executables within them, but my current provider sends me vast amounts of info why I cannot. Hows your provider, or are these non-exe files? (curious)

Cheers.

3. edwood

edwood Member

Thanks for the response. The zipped file has two .exe files contained in it. One is an autorun file, and the other is an installation file. The zipped file is designed to be unzipped to a CD, then the CD will autorun installing the program.

I have already tried your suggestion of a file hosting website (yousendit.com). I was able to upload the 358mb file intact, but it took about 3 1/2 hours to do so. I don't know how long a download would take, but that seems like a rather long time. That is why I was looking to break up the file into smaller bits, but not 258 of them.

Regards,
    Ed

4. onya

onya Guest

Hey to ED. Upping files takes a long time? same prob here buddy, at around 10kB/s it can get rather tediouse...lol. That's the cons settled but as far as the recipient(s) is concerned, they download at reasonable speeds. They have a better time of it than we do...LOL. If you trust that site you use to up, then to be honest, I'd stick with that method. It might not be quick....but the files are complete. Your call next.. :)

Cheers.

5. edwood

edwood Member

Thanks for the update. I do trust the site. They have a free section that is limited to 100mb file size and 1gb monthly, all the way up to fee based unlimited file sizes and monthly use.

I was able to sign up for a 14 day free trial of Business Plus which allows for a 2gb file size upload. My friend has not complained about any download problems yet.

Regards,
    Ed

6. onya

onya Guest

Ed, try to get a site that doesn't prompt you for cash for a better service. This might take some leg work on your behalf to find such a service but..perhaps if other members are listening... alternatives may well come to light.

I wish you well Ed.

Cheers.