broadband noobie help????

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by GlennT, Aug 29, 2003.

1. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

hi there, dunno if this kinda thing belongs here, but i didn't know where else i could ask, and most people on these boards seem to be knowledgable of all things computer related so here goes.

basically, i'm looking to upgrade my internet from slow old dial-up that i currently have and get broadband. except i was gonna get this 150k broadband from ntl, but they now say that i can't because we don't have cable in our street.it ws only 17.99/month, which is why i was gonna go for it (cos it's only £3 more than i pay for freeserve anytime)

so does anyone know how i can get broadband for a similar price in the uk, that does it through my existing phone line and does not need cable. i don't mind paying like £20 per month instead of £15, but the ones advertised on tv are all like £30, and i think that's too much.

as always, you help would be much appreciated

2. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

ok, i just did some google searching and i found this

https://www.e7even.com/index.html

they offer broadband adsl for just £15 per month, when most services are £30 per month. they say it's cos of reduced admin costs, cos you pay one payment per year intead of 12 (one evry month)

what do you guys and gals think of this.

anyone know of their reliability, etc. or have any good or bad expereinces of getting internet from the smaller compamies.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

BT do one for pretty cheap - £24 or something

4. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

nope, BT openworld broadband is £29.99 same as the other "major" companies (freeserve, AOL, etc.)

5. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

ok, i just found another company who will do a 256k service for £20 a month, Tiscalli

so now i don't know what to do. i have a budget of £20/month for internet, but i don't know whether to go for the Tiscalli 256k for £20 or the E7even 512k for £15. just because i've actually heard of Tiscalli, so i presume they'll offer a more reliable sevice. they're also in the top 10 broadband isp's here http://www.bestsearchengine.co.uk/general/general_index.php?affiliateID=479&keyword=broadband

anyone know any other companies offerning braodband for £20 per month or under (i don't mind having to pay any one off connection charges and i'm probably gonna buy my own modem anyway)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats just a top 10 search engine. Not a list of the top 10 ISP for broadband

7. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

oh righty. ha, i'm not very good with all this internety stuff. but i'm really tired of things downloading so slowly (legal stuff obviously, i'm talking mostly about trial versions of software, and free mp3's that you can legally download). that's why i wanna ghet broadband.

so what are the top broadband isp's, and which are reliable but within my budget.