building a dvd player from scratch?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by {TKO}, Aug 27, 2006.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

i've been dabbling in the video editing thing for a little bit and i don't know much. but i was thinking, rather than wasting my time trying to convert movies and stuff to play on a standard dvd player, why not build one that can play anything. i figure, if i can take the dvd drive off my PC that i do not use, and buy an exteranl case, and modify it somehow, i can play any disk with the divx, avi, mpeg, whatever i have. for example, let's say i DL a video from the net. i don't want to have to convert it just so that i can see it on my tv. i kno it's possible, cause anything with computers is, but is it worth the effort and is it fairly inexpensive? sorry if the wuestions are newb-like. but i was just thinking. i figure the hardest part would be getting the proper software to play the videos on the contraption.

2. ripit02

ripit02 Guest

You could always put together a media server pc for your tv. There are multiformat players that will play many files too. I recentlly got a cheap jsi player that plays xvid, divx, mpeg4, nero digital (so far everything that I have thrown at it). Further, it has a usb port that will allow you to hook up a hard drive and play from it. the particular model I got seems to be discontinued but other jsi models seem to play as many files and of course there are other players too.