Building a PC to play video files.

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by couchpot, Sep 16, 2005.

1. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

Ok, has anyone ever done this before? I want to build a PC soley for playing video files on a TV. Im just curious what exactly do I need and what is recommended to install it on? Should I use an older os that uses minimal processing power? What kind of video card should I use? I'll need S-video out right? My TV supports S-video so thats good. What do I need for the audio output? Like... the red and white port, how exactly will that work, dont pcs tend to have one output port dont they? Is there a good guide to doing this and a recommended way to do this well? I also heard that when u use video out, it doesnt work on a high resolution it works on something very low and ti can affect the video. I guess I have a few little questions I just dont really know whats best to do. What amount of RAM and processing power do you think I'll need? What player should I use? Just some tips would be much appeciated. TY in advance

2. mcphail

mcphail Member

Well for audio you can go buy a cable at your local curcuit city, or radio shack for about 5 bucks that converts mini-plug (audio plug computer uses) into that red and white cable, with no audio loss.