Building a surround speaker system

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tck_2006, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tck_2006

tck_2006 Member

I’m not 100% sure where i should post this so i chose here.

After been very unsatisfied with the crap speakers that i have been plagued with over the years i have come to the conclusion that the only way to get a decent sound experience is to build a custom setup.

The only down side to this is i know jack about speakers and i could really use your help with this little project.

What i think i will need please correct me if i am wrong about anything on this list.
    1) An amplifier something with enough ports for my PC, Xbox 360, TV and possibly a ps3 and a DVD player,

2) Some speakers how many I’m not sure of yet but i would like to have 7.1 surround sound

3) Some way of controlling the amp remotely preferably a remote control

Is there anything that i have missed off the list?
    where is the cheapest place to get the stuff i need and secondly can you give me some names to look out for in terms of quality and the ones that i should avoid like the plague

tck.

2. tck_2006

tck_2006 Member

edit
    i just had an idea i dont know if its posable ive sketched it out roughy in paint but ill explane evrything on the diagram.
    [​IMG]
    i was browsing ebay and i noticed these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Consumer-Elec...s=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308
    i was wondering if this is posable if you look at the roughly sketched diogram.
    what i was wondering is this could i take 4 of the dj speakers and place them in each corner of the room, and on two of the walls mounta pair of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Consumer-Elec...s=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1308
    ?

i would need away to input the sound from my;
    pc
    tv
    ps2
    dvd player
    and posably a ps3

i hope this is not a tall order but it would be nice to have a kick ass system like that

3. SS2180

SS2180 Member

If you have a HI-FI use that. Thats what I use, i have two HI-FI speakers, two SONY Xplode subs 1200W and 1300W, with another four SONY car speakers hooked up aswell. Bout 5000W in total, its easy to do it all through the HI-FI. I can control the sound from the HI-FI and PC keyboard.