Burning Dvd's

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by josh1121, Mar 6, 2006.

1. josh1121

josh1121 Member

ive read around i dont want to burn games ive got every southpark episode all in avi's and i wana slowly burn them all to dvd's that i can watch on my xbox (my xbox isnt chipped) but i can stil play sum burnt dvd's on my xbox (movies not games) i wana no how exactly i can burn them to dvd;s so they actually worked ive tried before but they dont seem to work>? do i set regions or sum stuff?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

2. steimy

steimy Active member

If you have Nero it will do it. In the make a new movie mode you can put in the avi, or multiple avi's if that is the case with the movie.
    It will transcode it so that it can be played on any stand alone DVD player.
    Be fore warned that the process wil take quite a long time. I have seen it take up to 7hrs to do this on some movies. But it is the only way i know.
    There are programs out there for conversion of video's that you can get, they also take quite some time to convert them.
    But i am 100% sure that Nero works as i have done it with several different file types.

3. josh1121

josh1121 Member

yea i no that it takes agers.. but they dont want to play on my xbox. do i need to use DVD+R or DVD-R??

im a bit confuzzled

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Nero is great for burning, for transcoding it sucks bloated dingo [BEEEP]. No matter what program you use, it will take some time. No way around that but the end result is usually worth it.
    But remember that "garbage in equals garbage out". Unless these episodes are really really nice, it's probably not worth doing for hundreds of episodes. Especially episodes that probably look like junk anyway from being compressed. I went out a bought a DVD player for $60 that plays media files (avi, mpg, divx) right from a regular data disc, and maybe this would work for you too. No converting, just burn your disc full of the avi's you already have and blow your time watching them instead of converting.

5. theridges

theridges Guest

well depending on the quality u want the film machine will recode a movie to the highest quality and take about 4 hours but winavi will recode a movie in about 40 mins and quality is decent nero is good if u want menu's and stuff but the aspect ratio gets messed up sometimes. if u want decent video quality and quick recode i would use winavi its pretty good.....for burning make sure you burn at a low speed for some reason i dont know what my unmodded xbox would not read one of my burned dvd's even when the remote thing was in but after i modded the console it reads them fine i could never explain that....me myself i just stream all my video from my computer using XBMC i also have a divx dvd player which plays avi's with Divx/Xvid codecs but i usually use the xbox.....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

i would use good quality DVD-R DVD's
    That's why i love my Xbox so much, with the chip in it, it seems to play everything just fine. I FTP'ed an AVI file to my Xbox and XBMC played it just fine with no extra time or trancoding needed.
    Not sure if it would play them from a disc as it is rare that i ever have any AVI files, but if it plays them from the HDD i se no reason why it would not from a disc.

7. theridges

theridges Guest

yea it will load them from a disc perfectly but if you have your xbox networked the best thing to do is stream them they work flawlessly....

8. steimy

steimy Active member

Hey, theridges
    I have not really gotten much into the media side of things on the Xbox, mostly games. And there are still so many things i am trying to learn like editing INI files and creating custom skins and such.

How does the streaming media work? I have FTP programs and XBMC on the Xbox and all that. What type of files can you stream?
    I suppose ISO's are not one of them but what about thinks like video files in the standart Video TS folders (VOB i think)

9. theridges

theridges Guest

yeah vob files work perfect any type of media music to movies as far as i know...

10. cearel

cearel Guest

most xbxoes only read dvd-rs but some drives differ