burning Nintendo 64 roms problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by omegared, Feb 22, 2006.

1. omegared

omegared Member

I can't burn any roms to a disk and have my softmodded xbox read them. I used Nero 7 but the xbox didn't even recognize the disk. I don't have the right cables or anything to FTP so I need to burn them.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

are you using DVD media to burn the roms to it?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  3. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Ok, Xbox likes discs burned in it's format ie XISO. For it to read the disc with the ROMS you need to put all the roms (individually zipped) into a folder. Use Qwix or Craxtion or what you have to create an XISO from the folder and burn the resulting XISO to a DVD.
    Now the Xbox will be OK with your disc. BUT BUT, you may need to make more changes to the emulator INI file to get the emulator to look for your ROMS on the DVD instead of the default location in the emulator ROMS folder on the hard drive. I haven't bothered with Surreal or any N64 emulator because most games don't work, or don't work right. As a result I'm not 100% sure that you'll need to do this last part, but if these changes are needed and you don't make them it still won't work for you. Personally I would burn the disc and then copy the ROMS from the DVD into your ROMS directory in the emulator folder on the Xbox hard drive.

EDIT: Actually, if you aren't going to run the ROMS from the DVD you don't even have to do this. Even if the Xbox says your disc is "unknown" you can still use boxplorer to move the files from the improperly burned DVD to the hard drive.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Just ftp all the files for your emulator from your xbox to your hard drive. Then put whatever roms you want to use into the roms folder of the emulator. Now once you're done all you have to do is like mentioned above...build the xISO with either craxtion or quix. Then burn it...I usually use dvd decrypter or alcohol 120%,but you can use your fave image burning app.

Now just launch the game as if it was a normal game and it shold boot up fine for ya.
    Note this,alot of the roms won't run or will run rough because of the lack of ram on the xbox. There is a compatability list at the forums at xbox-scene.com that will list the games that will work. I advise you to check them out.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  5. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Good idea except...

Omegared wrote: "I don't have the right cables or anything to FTP so I need to burn them."

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

So then find the download of the emulator and then skip step one.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I asked if he was burning them to DVD because if he was burning them to CD then the Xbox more then likly wont recongonize the CD use a DVD. He should bebale to burn the disc to DVD and then read and transfer them from DVD to HDD where the emulators go. but id sugest gettig the cable you need to FTP to your Xbox would make everything alot easier and network cables are not that much.

8. jabrony24

jabrony24 Member

i have the same problem...does it matter what drive u put the emulator on????

9. jabrony24

jabrony24 Member

I Have the emulator working fine but i cant seem to get the roms to work..any ideas..they are in a form like this--- cx-n64f.part001 (the numbers go up to part045..and when unzipped the files become like this-- banjoKazoie.usa i have no idea which ones go where and i heard im supposed to do something to the ini file but cant find out what...any help?? thanks

10. punqewe

punqewe Active member

looks like they are all rar'd...so just un rar them all (by double clicking the first rar file) and then extract the files to a folder. Inside this folder shuold be the rom(s).

The one rom that you had banjoKazoie.usa is what you're looking for. this is the file that goes into the Roms folder of the emulator.

11. jabrony24

jabrony24 Member

tried that..the .usa file in the roms folder...nothing happened..i read that i might have to do something with some ini file??..is that true..do you know what?..i appreciate the help

12. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I never touched my ini file. I left the emulator files the way it was when i downloaded the emulator. I just added the folder Roms and put all my roms in there.

Maybe your emulator is bunk.....who knows.