Burning the VCD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by spilo101, Aug 24, 2005.

1. spilo101

spilo101 Member

I must appologise to be posting this one here.. but there was no VCD burning discussion.. if u know any other forum arround here that best suites this topic, please direct me to it. The post is as follows:

I have ecoded AVI into mpeg1 via TMPGEnc, so it's ready for VCD creation..

what software do you guys use the most in order to create a VCD and burn it to a CD?

I have Nero, and i simply followed the create VCD withard, however 603MB mpeg1 file that I provided it with eventualy ended up to be somwhere 550 mb of total disk space used when nero created vcd/burned from mpeg file.

can you suggest anything please?

and what speed is recomended for burning a VCD?

In conclusion there a re 3 things I need to know..
    1. what software to use to convert mpeg to VCD. (when i have already encoded mpeg properly from AVI with TMPGEnc)
    2. what software to use for burning VCD. (I have NERO, but as it does conversion and burning I thought maybe those tasks should be separated for best results?)
    3. what speed should i burn the VCD?

Your advise is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

TMPGenc is a good choice for mpeg-1 encoding.
    When I recall correctly from the past, when you select VCD buringin with Nero and you import an mpeg, a window will pop-up telling you that the file is being analyzed if it is compliant. If it is accepted without anything else happens, it does not re-encode or anything.

After burning the file can be found in the folder "MPEGAV" with the name "AVSEQ01x.DAT" (see http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/techinfo/vcd.php) I am not completely sure but I think that it should be the same size.

The speed at which you burn does not influence the image quality. Either the CD is good or it is not good.

3. spilo101

spilo101 Member

Thanks!

4. alferseet

alferseet Member

I have always been troubled by this... Can i burn a compatible mpeg1 to a vcd without transcoding? I have been using nero(the latest version) and it alway takes hours to transcode and burn a vcd. If that is the case, why do i need to make the video file into a compatible mpeg 1 if it eventually transcode anyway. The actual burning only takes about 5 mins.

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It is quite a while ago that I made VCD's, but when I did I always used Nero for it. But that was the time that Nero did not have an encoder on board, so it would just check if an mpeg is compliant.
    So, now you say that Nero alwas transcodes, eve if the file is compliant? That would be a bad thing. It certainly makes no senese to encode it before then, even more so: it is bad. Compressing, decompressing and compressing again has a bad effect on quality.

But, this is what I found in the manual:

[bold]If an MPEG file does not have the correct characteristics of a VCD, Nero detects the incorrect format and the user has three options: 'Ignore Compatibility', 'Re-Encode the File' or 'Cancel'.

Ignoring compatibility burns the file to the CD with no changes. This option is specifically aimed at experienced users.[/bold]

This suggests that Nero does not re-encode when the mpeg is compliant...