Buying, need advice

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by ClipsKid, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

I am currently in the market for a new camcorder, however there seem to be so many different kinds (miniDV, DVD, Hard Drive) that im not sure what direction to go in. I am looking for a unit that takes both superior video and stills (all lighting conditions required), preferably some what compact for traveling purposes, but that can be waivered based on the quality of the camcoreder. Also i would like something that I can transfer to PC fairly quickly and efficantly. Any help would be great, thanks!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Read some of the basics in this article:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/camcorder.php

I'd certainly would go for a miniDV unless you don't intend to do any editing. Besides that. MiniDV still offers superior quality compared with the other consumer systems. Don't expect "superior" quality stills from a camcorder; "reasonable" is the highest level you can reach in that department.

I suggest you select a number of models in the price range of your choice; $200-$300 for a budget model with reasonable perfomance, $300-$600 for good consumer models, above for professional level models.
    Then go to http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ and read the reviews on the models you selected.

3. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Thanks for the info

4. dMerc

dMerc Member

Definatly miniDV if you are editing. Now if you're just using the camcorder for home movies that will be archived as is I would try one of the DVD camcorders. I would also take into account that DVD's are on their way out. Also, go with a name brand. I would stick with Canon, Sony, or Panasonic.

5. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Why are dvd's on the way out, didn't they just start making dvd camcorders. Also why are miniDV better for editing and what are some of the better MiniDV camcorders that you recomend? around $1000 mark (Im flexible)

6. dMerc

dMerc Member

Well, I may be a little hasty on the assumtion that DVD's are on their way out. But if you are buying a camcorder that is going to last you a few years you should think about the fast that Blu-Ray and Hd-DVD are going to be around maybe as soon as this year.
    For editing miniDV can be captured and the loss that occurs is minimal. If you have to capture from a DVD you have to "rip" it. There is more loss to the original data than with DV. It is also faster because you can just capture from your camera or a deck if you have it...with DVD's you have to rip it then convert the format (in most cases). Which can take a long time, especially if you are new at it.
    Check this out, be sure to look at the semi pro cameras as well. They are more expensive but it is good to know what is out there.

http://att.com.com/4521-6530_7-5021303-2.html?tag=subnav

7. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

What is a Blu-Ray camera?

8. dMerc

dMerc Member

I meant the media, soon (this year) blu-ray and hd-dvd are being released as a replacement to dvd because of better capability and storage. So the only reason that I said that is because miniDV is going to be around for a lot longer than dvd (as camera media) so I would stick with that for a longer investment.