Cable vs. Satellite vs. FiOS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by CKhaleel, Aug 21, 2008.

1. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

So what I mispelled Satellite...God...

Choosing a home’s television service provider gets a little more difficult each year. Emerging technologies, changing rates and packages, and access limitations all factor into this battle royal between old – and new - enemies. There are some basics you can expect from everyone, like DVRs, HD channels, and bundled internet service. But take a closer look and you’ll see some differences that may push one of them over the top and into your home.

Cable
    That the word “cable” is often used to refer to any television service – digital, analog, HD, you name it – is suggestive of the dominance over the television industry of those companies providing service over coaxial lines. What we can now call “traditional cable” service is associated with heavy-hitters like Time Warner Cable, Comcast, and the like. These companies provide digital cable content, including HD service, largely via underground cable lines.

Although the cable industry is taking heat on many fronts (regulatory issues, inflated bills, etc.), the bigger companies have been at the table for a long time, and that experience can be seen in the way these providers shape their content. “Our on-demand service just passed six billion views since 2003,” says Derek Harrar, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Video Service for Comcast. He broke their numbers down farther, adding: “We’re seeing 250 million views a month, or 100 views a second.” Research into the habits of Comcast’s 14 million subscribers indicates that on-demand usage is on the rise, and the company has responded by expanding their on-demand offerings to include much more than just current-release movies. Customers can find television episodes, music, and educational content. “We even have guitar lessons available,” says Harrar.

Detractors of cable cite the industry’s aging infrastructure as a reason to switch to the competition. Some think that the increasing bandwidth demands of high-definition content will prove to be too much for the existing network; others say that the need to compress content – particularly high definition – leads to less-than-expected picture and audio quality on the receiving end. Comcast recently countered these claims with a blind, third-party picture quality test, pitting Comcast’s Hi-Def picture against one of the leading satellite’s. “Two to one the satellite customers chose the Comcast picture,” states Harrar. So much for the detractors…

Cable companies like Comcast are also able to offer bundled services. Their Triple-Play package includes cable, internet, and digital voice (VoIP) services that use the same network. Bundled services are payable on one bill, and usually incur a lesser cost than the sum of the individual services.

Cable Pros and Cons

Pros:
    - Easy Installation
    - Bundled Service
    - Wide range of on-demand options
    - Large HD selection
    - Relatively accessible

Cons:
    - Aging Infrastructure
    - Cost: Lack of competition within market leads to price increases
    - Compressed content can result in compromised image and audio quality

Why Get Cable?
    Some of the companies have been around for a long time. They know their customers – you – and they give them what they want, by way of on-demand options, a refined channel guide, and quality customer service. Cable is also about convenience. Establishing cable service is easier than any other option. The bundled services make bill-paying a lot easier, too.

Max. Download Speed: 30Mbps (3.5MBp/s)
    Max Upload: 15Mbps (1.5MBp/s)

Satellite
    Satellite television – also called Direct Broadcast Satellite or DBS – must be thanked for bringing digital television to those rural-dwelling masses and others who otherwise might suffer a channel-less fate. Satellite’s claim to fame is its accessibility. As long as you can mount the dish facing south, it’s a pretty safe bet that you can receive satellite television.

Satellite service is still plagued by weather-related interruptions. Ever been watching a game via satellite during a thunderstorm? It can be frustrating. Other than Mother Nature, however, there is little that can come between you and a positive satellite-sent viewing experience. “I’d rather have my service go out for a few seconds than a whole afternoon,” says Parker McConnachie, spokesperson for Dish Network, referring to occasions when construction accidents result in severed cable lines.

DirecTV, one of the better-known satellite television providers, has been receiving praise for having the digital television industry’s biggest selection of HD offerings – they are currently at 85 channels. The only issue is you have to upgrade to a new satellite dish in order to receive these services. The same goes for internet access. Dish Network offers high-speed internet services (powered by WildBlue), but it too requires an additional southern-facing dish to be installed. DirecTV circumvents this hardware issue by partnering with ISP’s to create packages. For example, DirecTV works with Verizon DSL to bundle Verizon’s internet service with DirecTV’s satellite television. Not quite the same, but still an added measure of convenience.

If HD is your thing, Dish Network not only has a large choice in HD programming, they also have one of the industry’s best DVR’s, capable of storing 55 hours of HD or 350 hours of standard def content. “Customers can also add an external hardrive to the receiver and add another 750 GB of storage,” adds McConnachie. This almost makes up for the fact that satellite - since it is not a two-way system - does not have “true” on-demand capability. Dish Network is overcoming that disadvantage by adding a USB port for internet-connectivity to their receivers. Users with an internet connection can access Dish’s IPTV services, including pay-per-view and on-demand features.

Satellite television providers tend to attract those customers with an inherent interest in what’s happening abroad and being broadcast from abroad. Both DirecTV and Dish Network offer international channel line-ups, and make it pretty easy to tailor one’s service package to meet one’s needs.

Satellite Pros and Cons

Pros:
    - Accessibility
    - HD channel offerings
    - International channel line-ups

Cons:
    - Service interruptions from weather
    - Additional hardware needs for HD and Internet
    - No VoIP
    - No “true” on-demand features

Why Get Satellite?
    Because you don’t have any other choice. Some folks just don’t have access to cable or FiOS. Satellite might be the only option. And thank god it is. A robust HD line-up certainly helps satellite’s cause, as well. Those who hail from foreign nations will likely find the international channel options a reason to go with DBS service.

Max. Download Speed: 5Mbps (A little over than half a megabyte)(And that costs $350 a month lol)
    Max. Upload Speed: Approximatley 500kBp/s

Fiber Optic Service
    Fiber optic service (FiOS) is the relatively new kid on the block, but already it has gained significant momentum. Verizon’s FiOS TV is perhaps the best-known deliverer of TV over fiber. Launched in 2005, 13 states currently have Verizon’s FiOS TV service, thanks to Verizon’s “Fiber to the premises” initiative, which laid miles upon miles of fiber optic lines. Rather than simply bring the fiber to a neighborhood node (as was the case with much of the cable infrastructure), Verizon is making sure that the fiber lines go right to a home’s curbside, which greatly enhances service quality and speed. “We believe that FiOS is the network of the future,” says Sharon Cohen-Hagar, spokesperson for Verizon FiOS TV. “It has the capacity and the bandwidth to carry services that haven’t even been dreamed of.” That capacity and bandwidth provides frighteningly fast download/upload speeds for internet subscribers, un-compressed HD content, and voice-over internet phone service.

FiOS isn’t for everyone, however, and not because you wouldn’t want it. It’s just not available to everyone. The task of brining fiber to a home, neighborhood, or city, requires time and money, which is why Verizon is limited to 13 states, and only portions of those. AT&T’s “U-verse TV” is another digital-television-over-fiber option, but it currently services a mere 120,000 customers, compared to the 27.6 million digital cable subscribers country-wide.

The HD service – good as it may be in quality – isn’t at quite the capacity of FiOS’s cable and satellite competitors. Verizon FiOS TV offers a scant 30 HD channels (give or take depending on location), though the company plans to increase that to around 150 by the end of 2008. The installation process might scare off potential customers, too. In addition to dropping lines from the curb to the home, installers will need to set up a box (usually external to the home), connect the fiber lines and the home’s coaxial lines, and potential test and replace portions of a home’s existing coaxial network to make sure that the quality service promised can be delivered. In all, installation can take anywhere from 3-6 hours.

FiOS Pros and Cons

Pros:
    - Next Generation Network
    - Bundled Services
    - Fastest Internet Speeds
    - Uncompressed HD

Cons:
    - Lack of availability
    - 4-6 hour install time
    - Paltry HD offering (though more promised for 2008)

Why Get FiOS?
    Because you can. If you can put up with the installation hassle (which is usually free anyway) and the current short supply of HD options, you know you are tapping into the network of the future. Best HD quality, fastest Internet speeds, bundled service – there is a lot to like. If you are one of the lucky ones with fiber-to-YOUR-premises, it is definitely worth looking into.

Max. Download Speed: 50Mbps (6.25MBp/s)
    Max. Upload Speed: 20Mbps (2.5MBp/s)

Personally, I'd get FiOS, because it's the best choice and it's in my area.

This is NOT my guide, it is Ben Hardy's of www.idontknowthesite.com

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

There is one MAJOR con left out of satellite, latency. Which is why I ignored it as a viable option of Internet out in the sticks as I'm a gamer and it would be useless to me.

3. zachb657

zachb657 Member

Fiber Optics is a better choice if this is offered in your area.

The internet is extremaely fast on it and more stable. The big problem is most fiber based networks only are fiber connected to your house and back to the outside pole. In other words the rest of the run is copper back to the central office. Having fiber anywhere defeast the whole purpose of supposivly faster internet. To have fiber speeds, your isp has to have fiber ran from there office to your house, no copper. Another thing that pissed me off about my isp is they said my speed would increase dramaticly if i upgraded to fiber. I did that, and only noticed a slight increase in speed. I called the company and they said you only have 2mbps on your line. I said yall told me I had 6 mbps on fiber. Tney denied it of course and said no.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

zach, actually it is the reverse about the fiber optic as it is fiber optic from central stations to the pole or junction panel in front of your house then copper to your house. that goes for both telephone & cable.