Cables for taking an old 8mm video to my firewire???

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by zambrana9, May 18, 2004.

1. zambrana9

zambrana9 Member

I have an old canon 8mm camcorder. I have a PC with a Firewire port integrated. I need to know how can i pass my 8mm video to my pc, without converting it into DV. That equipment is just too expensive. Please, i need help. it's for home-made movies.

2. ZombyHero

ZombyHero Member

Unfortunatelly, there's no way to input analog video directly into a computer, whatever passes through a firewire cable must be a digital signal. But all is not lost. Analog to Digital converters to exist, and you're probably looking at $80-150 dollars for a decent one. Most of them have composite RCA (the yellow, white, and red plugs) as well as S-Video inputs, and digital firewire input/output.

3. zambrana9

zambrana9 Member

Thanks, man! The thing is, i live outside the US, and i could spend 150 bucks for a converter. I just want to find a cheap one. It's home made movies, i don't need anything so professional, like the Canopus ACDV100. I want something cheap and simple, to make my 8mm movies editable on my very fast and modernc PC. And maybe later, i can start learning to make them look better. ¿Can you advice me for a cheap good one?

4. ZombyHero

ZombyHero Member

I've only ever used the Canpous ADCV 100, so sorry, I can't personally reccommend anything else.