camcorder files play slow in WMplayer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by robowen, Dec 21, 2006.

1. robowen

robowen Member

.MOD files from my JVC camcorder play slowly in windows media player and without sound.
    I was advised to change the extension to .mpeg which made no difference, still played slow without sound.
    I can hook the camera to my TV card and the files play ok with a little loss in quality.....but, I dont understand why the same files play ok on my in-laws pc.
    Is it the graphics card ?? processor ?? I dont know where to start fixing this one ?
    Can anyone help out please ?
    rob
    My pc spec :

AMD athlon XP2400+
    2.00GHz 512MB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4800 SE
    WMPlayer version 10

2. robowen

robowen Member

bump bump

anyone know why ??

also , I took files off the camcorder to a disk and have tried to edit the files using my dads laptop. All the movie making software doesnt recognise the .MOD file extension. How do I convert the files to mpeg ?
    Rob

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

This is probably a codec issue. Your files are probably played using a codec that does not work properly. Examine with Gspot which codecs are being used by your system to play the files and remove any unwanted one.
    For the sound, it may be possible that this is an AC-3 issue. Install AC3filter.

If the video editing software is able to work with MPEG, it can also work with MOD-files. Just rename them and you should be fine. Issue is, however, that many video editing program cannot edit MPEG, which is not a very good format to edit anyway. Eitehr find software that is able to handle MPEG or convert the MPEG to AVI.

4. robowen

robowen Member

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help....this is driving me nuts.

I'm using Videoredo Plus to edit the mpegs. This programs work fine and plays all the video perfectly including the sound and edits like a dream.
    Windows media player refuses to co-operate and plays these video files slowly without sound as I explained.
    I've downloaded the gspot prog and have posted a picture of the details of a video file. I'm not exactly sure what to do now and would like some expert help.
    Thanks
    Rob

[​IMG]

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Indeed, your audio is AC3. Did you try to install AC3filter?
    Refer to the Gspot manual, to render and check which codecs are being used.

6. robowen

robowen Member

I have installed AC3 filter, It installed itself, I didnt change any settings, I just clicked apply.
    The files are now playing ok, so I dont think I need to change any codecs.....do I ?

I'm still not sure what the problem was and how we managed to fix it, but I'm grateful for your help.
    I'm gonna leave it well alone now...I daren't touch it !!!
    Thanks again !
    Rob

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Apparently it was your system trying to decode the AC3 sound that slowed down the video rendering. If it works there is no need to look further into the video codecs.
    It is pretty obvious what solved this problem. You did not have a good codec that was able to decode the AC3 stream in your files. Now you have one...

8. robowen

robowen Member

whilst we are on the subject of video files, what would I have to do to these video files to enable nero vision express 2 to burn them ?.
    atm when I select the files to be used, nothing happens. They dont appear in the project content box.
    I've got the DVD plug-in installed for vision express.
    Other video files work ok.
    The only difference I can see is that these problem files are shown as an mpeg icon, whereas other video files are displayed as a still from the first scene.
    Secondly, I can adjust speed in which the video plays in WMplayer, these problem files wont adjust, theres no bar to slide across.
    Other video files I've tested work ok.
    How come these are different ? and can you suggest anything ?
    Thanks again !
    Rob

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007