can i boot from a virtual drive?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by XxChikon, Jun 7, 2008.

1. XxChikon

XxChikon Member

i want to mount an OS to a virtual drive and boot from it so that way i can dual boot xp and mac osx. i dont have a dvd burner and i dont have the money to go buy one or the time (yes i know i can get one for $30). is there anyway i can boot from a virtual drive or anyway i can dual boot the 2 os's? thanks in advance!

2. edge2000

edge2000 Member

I think you cant boot from a virtual drive, but you could partition your primary physical drive into two parts, and install each os to a different partition. WHy do you need a DVD burner if you are going to buy the install cds of each OS? Piracy

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Not really any of your business, is it?

You could boot from a virtual machine, AFAIK. However, I think it might be a bit buggy if you're doing it with windows.

Dual booting would be much more simple, like edge2000 said, you could just partition your HDD and install the OS onto the 2nd partition, then chose which to boot. I think you'd need some form of boot manager, though, as I don't think BIOS will let you boot from an individual partition, but merely a separate HDD.

4. XxChikon

XxChikon Member

thanks! when i try to install the os will it give me an option on which partition i can install it in? i am trying to install the max osx JAS 10.4.7 thing....