can i FTP using my xbox wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by bigtom28, Jan 5, 2006.

1. bigtom28

bigtom28 Member

i have a router with a desktop,laptop and d-link gaming (xbox) adapter utilizing the connection. would this setup allow me to use my gaming adapter to ftp my xbox to my pc. if this is not possible, i was going to use my laptop to ftp to my xbox using crossover cabe since my router is in a different room. is this possible and do i have to make special arrangements regarding ip address or can i just follow the tutorial stickied on this forum exctly. sorry for the long post, this whole game is new to me.

2. nico1977

nico1977 Member

shouldnt be any reason why this wouldnt work, the d-link gaming adaptor is the same as any wireless bridge.

I suspect you may currently have the router set to DCHP meaning the router gives the devices their IP's. this is fine but you may want to create a reserve IP and static IP for the Xbox if your going to FTP otherwise each time you connect to it it could have a different IP depending on the order on which you turn your devices on... just a suggestion.

cheers

nico

3. backupguy

backupguy Regular member

you can ftp with any rj45 connection in your p.c but using a file transfer protocol(ftp) wirelessly is a LOT slower

4. DJ_Yuz

DJ_Yuz Member

I read mrRobinson's tutorial at Chefelf's site on setting this shit up, and am still a bit confused. He mentions that if you use 802.11g, it might be feasible to do large FTP transfers or stream movies/music wirelessly. Right now I've got my Xbox connected via crossover cable, with a USB cable modem. I'm able to FTP stuff to it relatively fast, stream stuff from PC via Samba shares, and access RSS feeds, online content, etc. Basically, I'm looking to set up my Xbox wirelessly and still be able to do this stuff (I'm moving to a new place where having my Xbox plugged in close to comp is impossible). I don't need internet connectivity neccesarily, but being able to use Samba shares to stream movies is a must...

Is there a more in-depth tutorial on setting this up anywhere? I'm pretty new to dealing with wireless, and feeling more than a bit lost right now.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I would check out the homepages of a few companies that make the devices.
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...826619&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    i know that may not be the one you have, but the users guide may still make it easier to understand how it is all set up.
    Plus any good wireless device, like Linksys, will have an easy wizard to guide you through the process and detect devices and everything for you.