can only copy to rw discs not +r discs

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by olly1, Apr 23, 2006.

1. olly1

olly1 Member

Hi,
    Ive installed a new samsung dvd burner recently and have found that when i backup a backup of a xbox game it will only work if its on a rw disc.I am using Datawrite classic rw and +r discs but only the rw`s will work.If i stick the +r in the xbox it says unknown.
    Any help would be gratefull thanks.

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It's your xbox drive.. for total reliability it's best to use -r

Sounds from the description that you have a samsung drive..They don't do +, in fact most of the xbox drives won't have anything to do with + You may get one read off a new +rw but then things go wrong..

Stick to - and everything will be ok..

3. olly1

olly1 Member

thanks,
    i`ll give it a go, but find it strange that my friends discs that are +r discs work in my xbox. Also that the drive is a SH-W162c and it does say it will copy +r discs.ill leave you know how i get on.

many thanks

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

That'll be down to the fact he's setting the disks booksetting - and burners have a lot to do with it as well as the type of disks..

I have no idea what a SH-whatever drive is..I use both samsung and nec burners... The only burner I had trouble with was the Asus 1608p (Pioneer 109)

I use ridata silver 8x-r..burned at 4x...never had much success with datawrite.. But every drive is different..It's more a problem with the xbox drives..They are erratic..

Good luck..when you find disks that work well stay with them if possible..Even top quality disks don't always work in an xbox..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  5. olly1

olly1 Member

hi,
    thank you so much for your help, i tried verbatim dvd-r discs and it works fine. i`ll be able to sleep tonight now !