Can Xbox play backup DVD movies without a mod?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by mrmathers, Jul 4, 2004.

1. mrmathers

mrmathers Member

I know that the PS2 can play backup DVD movies from boot without needing any mod, chip or swap.
    But can the x-box do this as well, or does it need to be modded first?

2. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

I wouldn't think this would be a problem. Buy the DVD playback kit to find out. If it doesn't work just return the kit. Nothing illegal about that.

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

It depends on the disks you use to burn and the drive in the XBox.

Most PS2's have a +/-R(W) drive (reader only) and i know the newer packages boast this. If your Xbox drive is a Samsung (its got holes in the corners of the tray) then it will play burnt disks.

I have a Tompson (in a non-chipped 1.0) and it won't read my burnt movies.

4. clarky

clarky Regular member

I use princo dvd-r's to back up my movies AND games and they all play fine on my thomson dvd drive. Movies work fine with and without the modchip on via the dvd play back kit and xbmp.

5. EG82

EG82 Member

Can a backed up xbox game (on a DVD) that has online capablities be used to play on xbox live without the chip on? Or will you get banned for playing a backed up game?

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

you [bold]need[/bold] the chip on to play backup but, if you are using Xbox Lame (lol, i ment Live) then, you [bold]CAN NOT[/bold] play backups because with the chip on, micro$oft detects that you modded the XBox and bans the eeprom from EVERY live server, you can however use XBox Connect (if you have a PC near by) to play over the net and you can then play games from you hdd. Also, there is a program (i think its X-Link but, not entirely sure) that you can install and use right from the Xbox to play games over it, no PC required.

7. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

re the original q
    use sony dvd-r any xbox can play a backup movie on this media, without a mod (no mod of course means you need a xbox dvd remote)
    Ive tried all drives over and over, and not one yet has failed with the sony media dvd-r I use.