Cannon Elura 50

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by theone_04, Jul 20, 2004.

1. theone_04

theone_04 Member

Hi, how can I transfer my home videos from my Cannon Elura 50 to my Laptop Toshiba Satellite 1905, do I need the DV cable or any other? thanks in advance.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

A firewire cable is used to connect your camera to your laptop, using the IEE 1394 ports. Make sure the cable you get has the correct ends. You will need to use some sort of DV capture software.

3. theone_04

theone_04 Member

the DV software that came with the camcorder will work with it?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't think it will, I did a quick search and found that the supplied software only captures stills.

There are lots of different capturing/editing programs avalible. Nero, Ulead, Pinnacle, Adobe, Sony have good programs, to name just a few.

You can even try Windows Movie Maker. It will not let you burn a DVD directly though. You can burn VCDs and SVCDs. The editing and titling features are pretty good for the price. (free with XP.)

Basically the more you pay for a program the harder it is to use but you can get very nice results.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro. I actually had to upgrade my PC for it to run properly.

5. theone_04

theone_04 Member

what of these programs do I need to use:
    Nero 6.0
    DVD Decripter
    DVD Shrink.

And you said that with the firework cable connected from the camcorder to the laptop is enough to transfer the home videos and then using for example NERO can I write the videos to a DVD disc?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi theone_04,

Nero 6 is an entire suite of programs that should do what you want to do. Basically you will install Nero 6 and then use NeroVision Express 2 to capture, edit and burn your footage to a DVD.

Nero also has a bunch of online tutorials as well. Try this link:

http://www.nero.com/en/632190643688086.html

Just a couple of tips:

Don't load an hours worth of DV into the program for your first few attempts. Try a 1 or 2 minute clip. That gives you more time to play with the program itself and become familiar with it.

Make a "Scratch Disc"folder. This is nothing more than a location on your hard drive that contains all the assets you are working with. As you proceed you will be asked for various target locations so this folder is where they go as well.
    My scratch disc folder contains folders for captured video, still images, audio tracks and anything else I might be using.

Once you start working on your project, remember to save it every few minutes. Just in case you make a mistake or have a problem.

Shrink and Decrypter are great free programs that are really only needed for backing up commercial DVDs. You could use them to take clips from DVDs and add them to your project though.

When you first start NeroVision Express just select Capture Video. If your camera is not hooked up and turned on, then the program will tell you to do so.

As you go through the process you will be given lots of choices, so be sure to read the tutorials and practice the first few times. The footage on your camera is safe so you don't have to worry about deleting it during the process.

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Dual 3.06 xeon, 2048 MB RAM, XP Pro
    HDs: 2-74 GB 10k RPM SATA Raptors, raid 0 and Maxtor 250 GB, Burners: A-07, DRU 700A ROM: JLMS 166S
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004