Canon ZR100 DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by macman123, Aug 1, 2005.

1. macman123

macman123 Regular member

does any one know muck about this camera? it is on sale this week in my daily paper and I wasn't sure if it would fit my needs are not. this is my first video camera purchase and i don't want to make a mistake, like have it obsolete in a month or whatever. thanks in advance:)

2. tjfenton

tjfenton Guest

I would go with the slightly higher (but better) ZR-200, or if you can afford it, the ZR-300. Recording at night with the 200 is difficult, even in night mode. What do you primarily plan on shooting?

3. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

I have the ZR-300 and really enjoy it. I'm not really deep into camcorders and making videos as other things. I found the value and price right for me.

Also; more importantly, I shopped around online and purchased the ZR-300 (including S&H which was free) for LESS than most places are selling the ZR-200 and even the ZR-100! So for the same or less money, go with the ZR-300 or ZR-200 like tjfenton recommends.

Additionally, keep in mind that this camera line doesn't have mega-pixel CCDs (higher resolution) like more expensive cameras. I think you are safe with going miniDV for a while yet as long as you can archive off to computer and then to the current media type of your choice. Of course HD camcorders are available and more expensive of course. Lastly, I got mine for its advertised 16:9 support which I love for my widescreen HDTV (family and friends get black bars on their 4:3 sets but at least they are small with the 16:9/1.77:1 aspect ratio. I use Ulead VideoStudio on the computer with 16:9 as a default setting as well to edit my movies and burn to DVD.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  4. ckcc

ckcc Member

I have the zr100 and really like it. but I don't have much experience with other mini-dv cams. Picture quality is great to me but you do need plenty of light. Low light (indoors) shots are very grainy. I do love how it fits my hand and the zoom button is easy to reach and manipulate. I also love the end search feature to find the last recorded spot on the tape after playing back or inserting another tape.

5. tjfenton

tjfenton Guest

Agreed. Use an online shopping comparison service such as Bizrate to compare prices and features. If my company will allow, I plan on upgrading to the ZR-300 soon.

6. macman123

macman123 Regular member

thanks for the response. sorry i didn't chect till now, but i still haven't bought yet. will look around :)