Can't access DirectXsetup.exe in XP Pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vertigo17, Aug 11, 2004.

1. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

Hello,

I had XP Home and was able to access the DirectXsetup.exe within the C:program FilesDirectX folder. I just installed XP Pro and the DirectX folder is no longer in the Program Files directory. It's now here C:WINDOWSsystem32DirectXDinput, but there is no setup.exe to run and check which version of DirectX is currently installed. How can I find out? Also, I installed drivers for my InterAct game controller and after the installation, it said to run DirectX before using the controller. I would if I could find it. I turned on the "Show All Files/Folders" and Unchecked "Hide Operating System Files" box in Folder View in Explorer, but it didn't help. Please help. Thanks in advanced.

2. oemtech

oemtech Member

You may have to go to MS and down load/install DirectX. I think the latest version is 9c.

MS does not have the full version to download per si. You download a loader that actully downloads the real files and installs them. I suspect that the reason is that there are different mods for 98/ME, XP and W2K. So, if more than one system or need to reinstall it forces you download the files again.

But, if you are quick you can copy the downloaded files to andother folder for later use. The download files are first loaded to %root%\msndownld.tmp\xxxxxxx.tmp and then copied to %root%\system or system32\directx\websetup. An easy way to copy the files is to create a temp folder in the \directx folder. Now wait until the download is complete (install starts) and either copy the \websetup folder to \temp or copy the files in \websetup to \temp. You need to be quick as install runs fairly fast and
    then deletes the \websetup folder and files. This one big gotcha with this, you do not have a [bold]install program[/bold]. I solved this by stealing the one out of version 8 ([bold]dxsetup.exe[/bold]). The only other gotcha is that you may have to install v8 to get v9 installed as my modified way sometimes fails. But, it always works if you put it over v8.

I have copies of v8.1b, v9.0a and v90b for 98/ME, W2K, and XP Home. I am working on v9.0c.

Lastly I have almost all the MS patches for my installed systems. But, this is based on the latest versions being installed such as IE 6 and XP Sp1 or SP1a. IE-don't have anything for IE 5.5 If you are intrested in a 2 cd set email offline and I will see what I can do.

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Actually you can download the entire DirectX package.
    http://www.microsoft.com/directx
    It is called the DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers.
    Go to that page and select DirectX 9.0c. Then down at the bottom of that page there will be a link that says The DirectX 9.0c Redist is recommended for those user that do not have internet connection during installation. I always get that version instead of the web download since I have to update my computer, my wifes, and my kids. That way I have the file if I need to rebuild and only have to download it a single time.

4. oemtech

oemtech Member

I guess it pays to read the whole page.... I need to take my "own" advice sometimes.
    Holy distributions Batman!!! 35 meg... Looks like a trip to town to get some cable modem time. My dialup with Tin Can & Sting phone company just won't do.