Can't delete files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kardi03, Dec 5, 2003.

1. kardi03

kardi03 Guest

whenever i try to delete a file from my machine it says cannot delete file, it is being used by another program or person. as far as i know it is not being used anywhere, i have disconnected my cable and tried deleting it, restarting my machine and delting byt nothing works. and this problem is mainly with avi files. can someone help me, i am using win XP. thank you

2. therock..

therock.. Guest

if its mainly avi files

go into your task manager and make sure all programes that use files like that are closed then try to delete it

if it still dont work try right click properties of the file if "read only " is cheched uncheck it and try again or vice versa

hth

3. asperdies

asperdies Guest

create a text file (empty one) in another folder (other than the folder that contains that particular file). Rename the txt file to the name of the file that is not-removable. Then click and drop the newly created and named file into the folder containing the stuborn file. This will overwrite the original file with the one you have just created.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ya sometimes you need to reboot. Its a real pain in the arse. Occasionally, if you just leave it, it all works out hehe