capturing high quality still shots from Hi-8/DV...is it possible?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by skooler, Nov 23, 2005.

1. skooler

skooler Member

Way back in the old days I used to use something called Snappy 4.0 that did it's job for it's time. A device that plugged into your printer port and had a composite input that allowed capturing still shots from a vcr or camcorder.

What about nowadays? I have some good memories of my son's soccer games recorded on minidv and now on my pc. Yeah...I know I can transfer to dvd and all that jazz but I would like to capture some 1:1 high quality images from these videos to print out. 1:1 may sound unreasonable but as close to it as possible would be nice rather than the blurry snaps I can do with the camcorder. Is there a program or tool out there today that can do this?

Many thanks.
    Kris

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, high quality images....depends on your definition of high quality. You will never get the stills image quality of a DV tape that you can achieve with todays multimillion pixel camera's.
    But if you want to take snapshots from your tape, you can simply tranfer the videoclip to PC using Firewire. Next you can use a video editing program and export one frame as a picture or play the video in a player that can export an image of one frame.
    You may encounter some quality issues due to interlacing, so you may have to de-interlace. And anyway, normally if you can use the camcorder to shoot stills directly to a memory card, the result is usually better.