capturing video

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by peterz, Jul 31, 2003.

1. peterz

peterz Member

Im trying to capture from a MiniDV camcorder. What is the highest resolution that I can capture with? And which program will allow me to change the resolution that i capture at? I am using premiere but it wont let me change the resolution.

Im capturing video but its horrible quality compared to viewing it on my tv.

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

With DV capture, this is what comes out of the camcorder:

720 x 480 NTSC
    720 x 576 PAL

Don't change the resolution of the captured avi. Changing resolution will never give you a better quality image. You should give us a more detailed procedure on what you're doing/trying.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

3. peterz

peterz Member

I would like to ask what the best way to bring footage on miniDV into the computer. I want to produce the best quality at what whatever resolution. So far the best thing I could come up with is to capture with windows movie maker and not render it.. its a big file with scan lines but its fairly nice quality. with photoshop and avid i cannot seem to get something to look nice .

4. peterz

peterz Member

i forgot mention that the file i got from windows movie maker looks doesnt even play in windows media player 9, nor does it play in many of my other media players.. only plays in two places.. oldest version of windows media player, and movie maker itself.. and when played in movie maker, no more scan lines

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

When DV is is being 'captured', the PC doesn't actually encode the video but simply wraps the incoming DV stream (which is already encoded by the camcorder) into an AVI.

After capturing the video into the PC, try putting that back onto a miniDV and watching it on the TV.

6. Fibre

Fibre Guest

Use Adobe Premiere to capture with firewire cable. You might need to get a firewire card it your computer does'nt have it already. Don't use USB 1.1. (IEEE 1934 <<< I think thats what it's called)