Career Advice

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Retro_rc, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

I need career advice from someone living in the US.
    I'm an American citizen living in Egypt.I plan on finishing my education here then moving to US.I just finished high school ,and in Egypt unlike the US ,education is free ,so until the system figures out the colleges i can go to ,I'm researching,I'm going to pick dentistry unless i can't I'll pick engineering.And so that you know ,college in egypt is college and university combined in the US. So you choose your career now. Anyways ,i can help myself if i was to become a dentist. But i need your help in figuring out info about the engineering carrier like average income ,professions ,expected pay when i graduate ,expected pay as time goes by ,generalized promotion map ,etc.

and sorry for the long post

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

google is your friend search and you will find, sounds like you need a career coach! go to any college office and you will get some good help!

3. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

I'm not going to college in the US
    and Google is simply too complicated i just need advice from an experienced live person

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

might want to put a bit more effort in your english class in sentence format & spelling. title edited to reflect the word "career" not "carrier". those are 2 different words & meanings.

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

On that note...your initial post is one long run on sentence with an orgy of commas.

And i'm in agreement that google is your friend.

6. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

i always thought that word had sumtin for an aircraft

anyways will fix those commas and stuff ,its not like am gonna be graded for that post

anyways ,seems like nobody's got the info
    so here i come google

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Unless you go to medical or law school, your degree doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what job you get. You're basically going to school to show your future employer that you're smart and can adapt to new situations, that you can balance stress and be productive, and that you are a well-rounded and capable individual. Additionally, whether you go with mechanical or electrical engineering, the sky is the limit. There are thousands of possible positions that you could take, with pay all over the scale. Don't worry about money; find something that you are can stand to do the rest of your life and that you excel at doing, and the money will come.

Also, unless you have steady hands, a great personality, and an excellent mind of empathy for your patients, don't become a dentist. I also don't know how well regarded Egyptian medical schools are in the US. Typically, people go to the US for schooling and then go back to their own nation, not the other way around.

8. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

thanks auslander
    but ,i'll tell you that it works the other way around in 3rd world countries where the country doesn't have jobs that will pay off to keep u happy.thats when you decide to move to another country that will appreciate your skills.

and is it possible for anybody to be employed as a civil engineer that will make blue prints for buildings without having a degree or so ,to prove he is capable???

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

No, nor should it be possible.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

without that degree/diploma in your hand as a civil engineer, you cannot sign off on any drawings. i worked for almost 3 years as a mechanical draftsman in the early 80's even tho i majored in architecture in school.

11. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

that's good to hear ,and since ddp majored in architecture ,how much is your current average income as an architect (if u don't mind saying of course)

and when i check those so-called statistical sites ,i see for example:

XXXXX Engineer I
    XXXXX Engineer II
    XXXXX Engineer III
    XXXXX Engineer IV
    XXXXX Engineer V

what does that mean? also incomes increase as the number to the right increase