Certain burners give bad burns to backups?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by evileyez3, Feb 14, 2006.

1. evileyez3

evileyez3 Member

Hey I've been modding xboxes for about 2 1/2 years now and believe it or not, I've kept the same HP burner. It finally died on me and I purchased a Lite-on burner. I have continued to use the same media (Ridata or Sony) as both have always burned great. However, now when I backup games or DVD's up with my new burner my xbox shows the disc as "Unknown". I have always burned my media at 4x fast, never faster. I've even tried 2.4 times fast but still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just have a cheap burner? Thanks.

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Unfortunately it's well known that certain burners may have issues with certain media. My NEC burns damn near anything, but friends of mine with different drives report that media I can burn fine (like Memorex) just don't work for them. It can get so bad that certain discs may constantly fail in certain burners. Not sure which Sony discs you have, but sometimes Sony discs aren't Sony. They could be Ricoh, they could be MMC or TY and that may cause trouble.
    Sometimes this can be fixed by updating the drives firmware, but switching media can be a fix too. You can check your exact burner make on videohelp.com and see if there are any media brands you should avoid, and also check your media by media code to see if it's good or junk.

3. theridges

theridges Guest

make sure you have the latest firmware for your burner my friend i did that and it fixed my imation dvd back ups....

4. zachb90

zachb90 Guest

it is kind of exspensive after having to get 3 or 4 dvd burners in 3 to 4 years.