Cleaning CD's and DVD's (not lens cleaner)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by scot48, Jun 19, 2008.

1. scot48

scot48 Member

I have a large collection of audio cd's (about 2000) and dvd's (about 1400). I live in a tropical country and the discs get spotted with mould if not played often. Obviously having so many they can't be played regularly. I have been to every store and they only sell lens cleaner for the devices but its my actual discs I need to clean.
    Is there a simple way I can clean them myself and also without scratching them. Would water and a cloth work or alcohol and a cloth.
    All suggestions are welcome.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

warm water(soft conditioned water) using a 100% cotton cloth would work fine. wiping from the center out in a straight line. don't wipe in a circle

3. scot48

scot48 Member

thanks. I'll try that.
    any reason to wipe from center out and not in a circle?

4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

If you can locate an inexpensive Radial CD/DVD Cleaner 91% Isopropyl alcohol That should work also To keep them clean Normally Though I'm not Familair with the mold issue personally so I can't vouch for it in that aspect ! You Want a Radial Cleaner That has a Round O shaped Cleaning Pad also . Many have a Small Bean shaped pad and these will scratch your disc !!!These cleaners are usually available anywere Accessories are sold ! and can be fairly inexpensive ! And the 91% isopropyl alcohol you can get at the drug store !

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Spit and a napkin....just kidding!

I typically use the same solution i clean my glasses with and the same cloth provided to clean my glasses with, and like Zoso said, wipe from the center out in a straight line.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Hell I use store bought isopropyl alcohol and paper towels gently wiping but not in a circle. I believe the data is written in a circle much like a vinyl records were stamped, is the reason to wipe across the data not with it. JM2C