cmd to shutdown WMC?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by JHawx, Apr 9, 2011.

1. JHawx

JHawx Regular member

I am using my comuter to watch telly from usb card, it works fine, but sometimes too good, mainly, i forget to turn it off and doze off.
    What id like to do is time a commandline on timed tasks and time it that it would close the %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe but keep the timing processes of the recordings on the lists running, so i dont miss the morning programs being recorded.

So what command line should i use to close down open windows of the windows media center program, but keep the service running?

would
    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe /close
    do the job?

2. attar

attar Senior member

I used Taskkill from the command line and in a .bat file to shut down WMC without affecting the recording schedule.
    I haven't ran it as a scheduled task though.

Code:
    cd\
    cd c:\windows\ehome
    taskkill /im ehshell.exe

3. JHawx

JHawx Regular member

Thanx, what i made was CMD out of it and timed to be run every day at 3, so if i do fell asleep i wont find myself annoyed to be awoken by that telephone chat that runs on nights sounding on backgrounds (on endless 12-20 seconds loops), i also added exit tag to the end of the CMD, dont know if that does any good, but at least it will mark the end of the command.
    (oh btw, its easier to call CMD´s from other computers, so if i did manage to get to my bed, i can use my bedroom laptop to call the media computer to shut the WMC remotely... but they work the same on coding levels)

I'll see if it kills the record lists totally and report back in.

I was worried about this happening if ehshell is combined to the recording schedule and if i did terminate the process, it would terminate my other upcomming records. But as far as i can see, the ehshel is only used to show the contents similarry to the media player, and is only a GUI for some other processes. If so, this might just do the trick.

Funny how the ehshell does not have a trigger to end itself... What id like to see in the next update is the feature to cut the feed after certain time... now i just need to hack it in i guess, but thanx for the help.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. JHawx

JHawx Regular member

yup, the recording process IS separate from shell.
    code works, thanx for the help.