Converting Mini-DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Steve8203, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Steve8203

Steve8203 Member

Damn....

The guy at Circuit City said it was a snap to convert Mini-DV to a DVD format so we saved fifty bucks and and bought a mid level Sony Mini-DV camcorder.

I fought with it until 1:30 in the morning trying to convert it using Sony software and didn't even get close. I was able to transfer the video to my computer, but I couldn't figure out how to burn it to a DVD.

Is there a simple, idiot proof program that I can use to pull this off? I know I'm doing something wrong. It shouldn't be this complicated.

Help!!!

Steve

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

OK, don't believe a salesguy who is about to sell you a $x100 camera ;-)

You say that you saved $50. Against what? If it is against a DVD-camcorder, I've got good news: you made the right decision to buy a DV camcorder rather than a DVD-camcorder.

The bad news is that hardly any camcorder comes with decent software to edit and create DVD's.

Idiot proof? There are idiots and idiots, but you found your way over here and managed to post a message, so how bad can it be ;-)

OK, if you have one of the latest version of Nero (big chance, because it is supplied with many burners) it includes Nero VisionExpress. That is pretty simple to use.
    Another quite simple program that works as a wizard (you know, those interfaces which were designed with idiots in mind) is Ulead's DVDMovieFactory Standard Edition. Costs exactly the $50 that you think you have saved :) A free 30 days trial version is available at http://www.ulead.com

Maybe, you want to become a bit less of an idiot and get better results? Educate yourself a little: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com

Cheers.

3. Steve8203

Steve8203 Member

Thanks so much for the reply....

I feel like somewhat less of an idiot. I've been reading how god-awful the Sony software is all over the internet. I'll blame the equipment. No pilot error here. :}

My computer came with Nero 5. I'm not sure it will do the job. I've also got DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Will those work? If not, I'm gonna run over to CompUSA after work.

Thanks again!

Steve

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I am not sure if Nero 5 has VisionExpress or if you can update for free to include VisionExpress.
    DVDShrink and DVDdecrypter are basically ripping programs for exisiting DVD's and are not for authoring DVD's from scratch.

Also, there is no need to run over to compUSA. All decent software can be purchased and downloaded over the internet. Also, you may want to try software before you decide to buy. Almost all packages have fully fucntional 30 day trial versions. Try those for 30 days, see if you like it and buy an unlock key (or go to compUSA then, if you're hesitant to use your creditcard over the Internet).