Converting - Please Help

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Amaranth, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Amaranth

Amaranth Member

I recently bought a Sony Handycam. I'm not sure of the model (I can check if it's really necessary), but it records straight to DVD. I'm having a lot of problems getting the files onto my computer for editing. I can watch them all I want, but I can't save and edit them. I've tried changing the .VOB file to an .MPEG by simply typing it in, but this gives me only video, and no sound. I've been told that I have to convert the .VOB file to an .MPEG. Can anyone recommend a program that I can use to do this? Or is there another, easier/better way to do this? Please help!

2. albertd25

albertd25 Member

NeroVision (last version for sure) is one of them. It's too easy.

3. Crazycro

Crazycro Member

Amaranth I have the same problem can you tell me if you found some useful software to do the editing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

4. Amaranth

Amaranth Member

I'm off to try out NeroVision (as I have heard excellent things about it, but was unsure if it is what I'm looking for).

So far, I HAVE found something that works, although the process is sort of long and annoying. First, I put the DVD into my drive, then I open DVD Decrypter. I change the file format (on the toolbar) to ISO, then decrypt. Then, I open Xilisoft Video Converter, select my file, and convert it to .MPEG. It's annoying and sometimes I still get no sound, I'll let you know how NeroVision goes.

5. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

as far as working with the files directly from the disc not sure? but if you have a capture card installed in your computer just hook up your cam to your system and capture the contents directly to your hard disc either the whole movie or break it up into segments which i do then go buy the latest roxio and create yourself some awsome home movies with all kind of special effects.one other idea is to see if dvd decrypter will save the disc to your hard drive

6. albertd25

albertd25 Member

DVD decrypter and DVD shrink or NeroVision can do that but only Nero had editing options like titles and special effects. Others not.

7. cpsim

cpsim Member

How's the NeroVision work ??????
    Can the final DVD be play in normal set-top DVD player ????

8. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

I have used VStrip to do this conversion very easily and you can select divide by vob or cell id to split the film into very small sections for editing. I use XVid with this software as my codec. Have to admit though, that I never realised that these cameras only had USB digital interfaces, which considering the software provided to recognise the camera is a waste of time, they should have stuck with Firewire to provide greater software compatibilty. Otherwise you are as stated earlier, stuck with using the analogue output and capture mode, which is still good with the right hardware etc...

9. albertd25

albertd25 Member

I don't understand why you take so long. Try NeroVision people,like me that use it every day for creating DVD movie from files, captures or other DVD's. It does all that I want add files,split,create chapters, add text titles, special effects..etc. It is too easy and fast smart enconding. I had already created many DVD discs with it in the same time that I have on my PC other softwares Like AdobeEncoreDVD or Adobe Premiere and they were all perfect. Perhaps other folks that don.t like Nero may had put bad settings like lowering the resolution or other. For myself I will never get below the top resolution the Pal 720/576, NTSC 720/480 in any application. I had tryied once resolution the 320/288 that some peoples with mania of the 6-8 hours!? on a disc have but the quality was not good.

10. esoteric_

esoteric_ Member

Are there any programs that can do this on a mac? All of the ones i've found are only compatible with windows.