Copyright Tax

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Jlhfit, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

I was thinking today about all the crap with the government and laws on piracy. Its a losing battle. I am going to admit. I pirate material, games,software,movies,etc... Its there so I get it.. Its easy... Everyone compains about losing money b/c of people like me. LOL.. Thats a joke.. Money isnt lost... Anyway.. Instead of fighting the losing battle against those who pirate material and those who distribute it, make a tax option on your income tax that would go toward the so called "Lost money" due to pirating material. It may seem like a crappy idea, but I would pay it. Paying a couple bucks once a year would seem a better and cheaper way to handle piracy than fighting it. It cost more money to arrest,pay the man power, Judges,jails,etc,etc... than it is to just relax the laws and give the option to pay a tax on the material you are getting of the net. I would rather pay, say 10-20 bucks a year to allow downloading the material than keep hear all the complaining and crying the artist,movie producers,RIAA,US,Switz,etc do. Its like the old saying "If you cant beat'em, join'em". To ME, piracy is such a pety law. How about focusing on the "real" crimes, such as rape and murder. I guess when a government cant control something such as rape and murder, they focus on something else to take the public eye off their failure. Piracy will never be controller, it may be attacked at every angle, but it will NEVER be completely gone. If anything it will grow even more with time. Anyway this is the way I and alot of the people I have talked to about such, feel. Our government can make money off of everything we do.. If they where smart, they would tell the RIAA and the rest to "shut the crying up and accept the fact that people download copyrighted material." If a Tax was passed, than the government could take that money, pinch some for theirselves, as usual, and give the rest to all those bitching agencies you hear about everyday fighting piracy. I hate to bring this up, but its the same as prescription drugs,cigs,alcohol and even illegal drugs. The US and other countries could give a careless about your well-being or saftey. All the laws are made to allow our govenment to make money. Its legal extortion. If the money wasnt there than the laws wouldnt be either.... Think about it..
    This is my opinion, it may offend you, you may disagree, hell you may agree, but in the end, its all about which angle you perceive it..

What do you all think?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I didn't have to read more than that to know that I wouldn't care to read any more of your pathetic posts.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

in many nations where downloading is legal, there are taxes--mainly on burnable media.

and i can personally vouch on one level that piracy does hurt the artist, or at least the small, independent ones. James Hardiman, a very talented artist who i've talked to many times, actually loses money on nearly every series of prints and comics he has published, as immediately, everyone scans them and puts them online.

as such, he's stopped pretty much all publication of his artwork.

corporations may suck, but you're still acting as a drain on the global economy.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.