Creating a picture and video DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gohan2091, Oct 28, 2005.

1. gohan2091

gohan2091 Member

I am not sure where to post this so i'll just post it here.

I got a large collection of family photos and videos that my mum wants put onto DVD disk. All of them were taken using a digital camera.

I tried using Nero Burning Rom to do this, I simply selected ISO and dragged the pictures and videos over to the disk and burnt. The result wasnt very good...the menu is hard to navigate, I can see no way of moving from 1 image to another quickly and half the images have a JPEG decoding error.

I want to put these pictures and videos onto DVD but at the same time create a friendly, attractive easy to use menu and navigation. Can anyone recommend some software for me?

Thanks for any help.

2. gohan2091

gohan2091 Member

Anyone?

3. stan1976

stan1976 Regular member

This is how I do what you're talking about. I use Ulead Video Studio 8 and just drag whatever photos and videos I want into the timeline, enter the time length I want each, and add transitions if I want them. Then Ulead can encode it to MPEG-2 or I usually output to DV AVI and encode with TMPGEnc. Then if I want a simple menu I use TMPGEnc DVd Author. I don't if you have any of these programs or not. Hopefully this helps. If not at least I tried.

4. gohan2091

gohan2091 Member

Thanks for your post.

Making everything an MPEG2 isnt going to work because there will be no control over how long each picture lasts for, no control on skipping pictures and going back to previous ones.

Yeah you can put all the stuff on a timeline and set the time for each item but this is no good, if someone wanted to skip the first 50 photos and look at the others, they would have to wait for each picture to pass. They could fast foward it but thats alot of hassle... I need to do this in a good, easy to use way.

Thanks for trying but does anyone have any other suggestions?

If it would be easier to come up with a solution... I can have the pictures on 1 disk and the videos on another. Any way of making a good interface for the pictures? I can create the video interface with Nero Vision Express.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I would recommend Ulead DVD Picture Show.
    It will also encode to an MPEG-2, but as far as I know it also creates a chapter point at each new picture, so you can quickly browse pictures with the Next-button on the remote control.

6. gohan2091

gohan2091 Member

Thanks alot TPFKAS, DVD Picture Show looks perfect, I am trying it out now... it takes ages to load even on my fast PC but I think it will do what I want.