Dead HD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by thekingo7, Nov 23, 2005.

1. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

So my xbox has what apears to be a dead hard drive, and that makes me mad for a multitude of reasons. So i was wondering is it even possible for me to get a new hd and use evox and a chip and use that instead. Is any of the is possible now that my original had is dead?

2. taazzukcb

taazzukcb Member

You can fit a ned hdd..or even a bigger hdd.....you can do this just by softmodding if you want, so that you dont have a chip.

Luke.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This wont be easy if you didnt backup and save your Eeprom. So hope you made a backup of it. If so you can download Slayer Auto-installer or Auto Deluxe installer and install a bigger hard drive.

4. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

And how would i do this would i be using a Y-splitter?

5. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Well I havent really considered hacking it until it broke but now im willing to. The problem is how could i back up my EEPROM now if the hd is ......dead?...

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The only way I know is to get it by Softmodding or Hardmodding the Xbox. Unless somone else has an idea or im wrong I dont think you can get it any other way. Which you wouldnt bebale to softmod if the HDD is shot.

I was thinking maybe you could hook the HDD up to your Home computer and maybe the sector that the Eeprom is on might be readable off the HDD but you need the HDD unlocked which you need the Eeprom to unlock and lock the HDD.

But maybe I am wrong and somone else will come along and have better advice on what to do. Cause as of now I have none.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  7. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Yeah I tried that hooking it up as a slave drive rite befor i looked at this thread. Computer cant do it. I evern triend swapping it wiht another drive after the comp was booted, didnt work. I think the damage to the drive is physical little bro jarred it when it was spinning. That scratched it. Unless theres som way of dling the eeprom or the dashboard? If i chipped it and bought a new HD and used like Avalaunch and Slayers boot disk would it work? Or do i need the orig. HD? Is the EEprom only on the orig and in that tiny chip

8. theridges

theridges Guest

ok then i was wondering my friend gave me his xbox and his hard drive is shot too and he never backed up his eeprom or anything so i was wondering if i upgrade my hdd to my box and put my old in his if it would work????

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As far as I know you have to have the Orignal Eeprom that was given to that Xbox. You cant use another Xbox's Eeprom. Thats why it is so important to backup your Eeprom after softmodding or hard mosdding.

10. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

ok I get that but wut im trying to no is, is i get my own new hard drive and chip the box with like matrix or xecutor and i use slayers disk can i run a new xbox?

11. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

btw with matrix u can simply flash like avalauch or unleashx to it.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have given you what my knowledge is. I dont think you can replace it without the Eeprom of the Xbox your trying to replace the Bad HDD in.

If you think you could do it a diffrent way then try it and let others know if it worked or not.

13. theridges

theridges Guest

so u cant do it without the eeprom i mean im not tryin to go on live or anything i dont see why i could put my hard drive in my friends xbox.

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Like I said All you can do is try it. So why dont you try it and post if it worked or not. That simple.

15. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Im about to put a cromwell DuoX chip on order. Il let u no how it goes.

16. theridges

theridges Guest

ok i just got the new hard drive and im going to switch i will update on it tomarrow.

17. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Yeah man let us know how it goes. Im expecting my chip to come within the week.

18. theridges

theridges Guest

ok my original hd wouldnt work in my freinds box.
    but atleast i updated mine :)

19. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Ok I installed the chip used the Eurasia flash disk (cause the chip was a cromwell bios ewwww) then I put evox on their and used slayers disk. Worked great, for about 2 seconds until the HD theat my friend gave me (2 gigs) actually started burning out. It smells horrible. So im getting a 250 gig for 60$ this week

20. Metosky

Metosky Member

Could someone help me.
    I got my xbox hdd unlocked.
    How do I edit the files on it.
    My dash is missing.