dial up plus home phone need help

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xboxdvl2, Aug 9, 2010.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I'm writing this cause my mum had a problem with her dial up internet and home phone.basically she wants her dial up internet to cut out when someone rings her on the home phone.did try searching and google searching counldn't come up with an answer.sometimes when someone ring it does cut out sometimes it doesn't.she has call waiting activated if that makes a difference.I'd also appreciate it if people reframed from saying she needs adsl or broadband or cable.Basically theres no cable internet in australia.for ADSL its about $1200 for a satellite dish before she'd be able to access ADSL or Broadband because shes too far out from the city.Was thinking a splitter/filter but not sure if that would work.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

there is a program free in i'm right on the net that pops up & says there is an incoming call. did she put an * or # in front of her provider phone number?

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

no she didnt put an * or # in front of her provider number.

4. keebles

keebles Regular member

You might just want to get a 56k modem with Call Waiting. This way she can browse the internet and also receive phone calls with out having to disconnect.

5. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ok i did a google search on the topic again and went to a website that explains about using a modem on hold but i had trouble understanding it.basically is there a program/setting i can use to put the modem on hold and take the call.if so what program/setting.I'm going up to my mums house next saturday(not tomorrow) and can have a play around then.