digital cable digital tv tuners?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rc1489, Nov 27, 2007.

1. rc1489

rc1489 Regular member

Hi
    We have 7 analog tv's and just recently upgraded to digital on one, with a set top box,
    The cable mounting entrance hookup has like 8 or 9 spots to run feeds from to these other locations.
    If i bought a tv that has a "digital tuner in it", will i automatically get digital on that set or does the cable company have to authorize or flip a switch for another set to get digital programming?
    I see contradicting statements on set top boxes, digital tuner tvs, and the cable companies.
    I know you can split the analogs, but am not aware of the cable stus on digital?
    thanks

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Digital cable is like satellite. You need the set top box at each tv, to unscramble the signal, to watch different programming on each tv. The built in digital tuner of the tv, is for OTA (over the air channels:local channels), and you won't need a STB to decode or convert the signal, on that tv, when all tv stations go digital February 17, 2009.

3. rc1489

rc1489 Regular member

Thanks

So up till then 2009, we have to pay the piper extra for each, but not then?

thanks

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Even then, you'll still need a cable box, to watch digital cable channels. Each tv will need a box, if you want to watch different digital cable channels, on different tvs.

Feb. 2009, all tv stations are required to broadcast a digital signal. Digital cable and satellite's signals are scrambled. You need the box, to unscramble them, for watching. That won't change. All OTA signals will then be digital, and regular cable channels will all be digital then too. To go into the 500, 600, 700, 800 channel numbers, you'll still need a box, I think. I don't think the tv's built in digital tuners will go that high. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so. Ask your cable company........... :eek:)

This is a quote from High Def Forum:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  5. rc1489

rc1489 Regular member

It appears the deregulation of the telecom industry by the govt, stuck it to us?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that 2009 date is for the states as is different in other countries like canada.