DiVX DVD player questions

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dp-green, Aug 8, 2005.

1. dp-green

dp-green Member

I want to buy a DVD player that can play AVI files

And I have checked with Gspot and my files are XVID codec files

So I was wondering which DVD player would be best to buy to plays these files without converting them to DVD

Also if you suggest a DVD player, I would have a quick question about the DVD player:

Would I need to convert the files to Divx or can I just burn the files straight to a DVD disk?

And also if I did burn the normal files to disk when I inserted the disk would the files just start playing?

Also I live in the UK so I would need the DVD player to be region 2 or it would have to be multi-region

Thanks all

Joe

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

3. dp-green

dp-green Member

Thanks for that

One of the DVD players i found said in its description

Compatible With Downloadable Video & Audio Content upgradeable via CD-R

i'm guessing that this means you can put avi files onto CD-R and it will play?

Does anybody know of a dvd player with this feature

Compatible With Downloadable Video & Audio Content upgradeable via DVD-R

Thanks

Joe

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thread title changed to something more appropriate ;)

5. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I've heard good things about Philips DVP642. From comments on videohelp it seems like it plays everything but .wma audio. The main reason I haven't purchased one myself is I have a Philips 724 which plays everything the DVP642 plays except for Divx and it has twin sets of RCA audio output jacks. So I can put audio through my TV and through my stereo system for "home theater" on the cheap. It's tough to find a DVD player with that feature. But like the 724 I think the DVP players have a "remote hack" that can be used to change the region to "0" or just comes with it set as region free.

From what I've read Philips 724 owners claim the video quality is a bit better than the DVP series but I haven't seen 'em in action so I can't say. Most people seem happy with them though. For around $70 USD you can't go wrong.