Divx DVD Player - Some files don't seem to work

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Arctodus, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Arctodus

Arctodus Member

I've had a DiVX Dvd Player for a few months now, and while its a very useful thing to have (since I hate converting AVIs), some of the files don't play. I assume this has something to do with the Codec, but how do I change the files to a codec that is compatible? Or how do I update the Divx codec of my dvd player? Is either method possible?

Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Arctodus

Arctodus Member

It appears the ones that don't play are XviD.....can I somehow change them to something else?

Shouldn't a DiVX Dvd player play anything that my Divx Media Player can? All the said files work on it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. attar

attar Senior member

Try the 4cc changer..

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html

This is a before/after example.
    Look at one of the working DivX files and make the XviD ones the same.
    The other alternative is to recode the XviD file to DivX, using the likes of VirtualDub - but re-compressing always means a loss of quality.

[​IMG]

5. Arctodus

Arctodus Member

Ok, to be honest, it seems I know very little about any of this stuff. I looked at all my AVIs and they all seem to be Xvid, and I don't really understand the difference between that and Divx.....Aside from that the files that don't play are usually the exact same type (didn't check out all the audio) as that of other files that work on the DVD player.

Thank you very much for your help thusfar, I'm going to see if I can't resolve it by doing some reading here and testing what you suggested.