Dreamcast, i think i got cheated

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Knivez, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

Hi
    I just bought a dreamcast off EBAY. I hooked it up got it ready and checked to see if its working after i pressed the on button it went to the time/date menu and when its at time date menu i put in the date etc. and pressed OK/select or w/e.. and it just froze, i turned it off again and turned it back on and all i hear is this repeating noise as if a gear is turning in the dreamcast over and over again and my screen just blinks on and on and on and on and on (some wierd twitching thing goes on at the bottom of the screen) but nothing happens, i put in a real game, same thing, i put in a burnt game same thing, i turn it on without any games.. same thing. Is there a way to fix this? or did i get cheated and bought a system that doesn't work/dead..?
    Thanks for the help from anyone

2. kmp_tm

kmp_tm Guest

Well, I'm no pro, but here it goes.

You bought it off eBay, so I can come up with a few reasons it wouldn't work
    1) The seller gave you non-working merchandise
    2) The system got damaged in shipping (or something could have gotten knocked loose)
    3) Faulty wiring, loose wires
    4) The certain TV doesn't play it

Try all small fixes first.
    - Tighten wires
    - Try it on a different TV

Did the box it was shipped in look damaged?

I'm no professional, and I don't have a dreamcast...but I think these would logically work.

Good luck
    (BTW, I think this is in the wrong forum :p)

3. Knivez

Knivez Regular member

ok here goes

1) i think thats the most logical case
    2) I dont think it was damaged in shipping it was packed pretty well with a whole lot of Styrofoam, tape, and lots of paper to absorb shock (which was a bit weird, why send a nonfunctional system with such amazing packaging..)
    3) Faulty wiring is gonna be a problem because i have to open the system and check, however i dont know how to do this and there isn't alot of guides on a dead system
    4) its not the TV, i tried putting it on another, same problem, if it was TV the DC wouldn't be making such a horrible gear sound..

Thanks for your response, considering that there is no separate dreamcast forum and many other DC posts are on this forum i think im in the right place.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Knivez, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 10 lines of text.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.